Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have 2002 Scrambler 500cc 4X4, I can not figure out which is bad to replace it, the Reverse Rev Limiter or the Reverse/override button. It seems like I have the same amount of power going forward and in reverse without hitting the reverse/override button. And the AWD is engaged all the time when I back up. Also I has not lights show up on my dash at all, even when I an in neutral or reverse. But last night when I was plowing I was backing up and for some reason the AWD was not engaged when I was backing up, I pushed the reverse/override button and it engaged my AWD and my "R" light went on when I pushed the button. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. It seems to have a mind of it's own.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Your shift position switch or the wiring to it is dodgy.
You could just unplug it and the bike will go back to operating the way you are used to. If you fix it you'll want a toggle switch for reverse 4x4 override.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hatzie, I noticed tonight while checking some things out that when I press the Override button all the way in it does not connect the 1st and 3rd pins like it should. But when I press the override button in about 1/2 halfway it makes the connection to the 1st & 3rd pins. That's not right, correct? I took the switch apart and cleaned everything inside but it still does the same thing. Anyway to correct this? I have a photo of what the switch looked like inside, but I don't know how to attach it, (I might of done it). If you would like I can email it to you. IT looked fine to me, but I could be wrong.

I also notice, that is does not matter if the tranny is in forward, net or reverse; when I press the override button the "reverse" light comes. Mmm... Any thoughts? I have not had a chance to check the gear sensor on the tranny yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Never had one of the switches apart but that doesn't sound right. I would guess there's a stop pin on the back of the button that's broken off.

My stepdad's bike (my 02 reference) has a non working R light... so I don't know whether the R light will come on with the override button or not. It doesn't sound right but maybe someone that has an 02 in better shape will chime in. You have the owners manual? It may say.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts