Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 400 sportsman does not reverse using the little button on the handlebar which is supposed to engage the front wheels as well,
What would cause this, and how would I fix this? The issue happens more frequently in the colder months.

MRD

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The best and usually suggested first course of action is to change the front hub and/or differencial fluid, as this system is picky. If that doesn't work check the handle bar switches (AWD & Override)..... than the wiring and ground. If still a no go look to the armature or cage/rollers in the front hubs / differencial.

With the above statement, I'm assuming you have the gear selector in "R" Reverse and the AWD switch engaged and are not getting AWD to engage in reverse with the Yellow override button depressed. Remember this system will only engage if the rear wheels slip.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Need to have it in reverse, need to have it in 4x4 and then you need to push the yellow button. It will lock up the fronts and give you 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input
All preconditions are satisfied: in reverse, in awd, and yellow button pressed.
checked oil levels in hubs to start levels on both side appropriate. will change this oil this weekend, and move from there.

·
Registered
434 Posts
try wiggleing plugs to switch while in reverse with yellow button pressed in AWD and see if its just a loose connection there could also be a broken wire to yellow button does th yellow button work to scroll through tach,speed, hours,km ect on screen???? if not theres your problem

also you didnt state if its working as your overide

1 - 5 of 5 Posts