Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 sportsman 1000 highlifter
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 19 sportsman xp highlifter 1000.
The fans pull air from the wheel well up through the radiator. Doesn't seem to smart to me for a mud machine to pull air from mud throwing tires.
Is there any negatives to flipping the polarity to have it push air down instead? Has anyone done this to there's?

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
just trying to think this through with you but if you do swap polarity then pushing all the water and mud you're riding into the radiator. IDK I don't see a benefit necessarily.

·
Registered
19 sportsman 1000 highlifter
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it's pulling from the factory. So all of the mud and debris from the tire will be pulled up into it. If it pushes it would be blowing down against the crap. The highlifter has the radiator covered and relocated up high so there's nothing to push into the radiator

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
Reversing the fan direction will reduce cooling ability, but you can try it if you want - I don't believe it will hurt the fan motor

·
Registered
815 Posts
Even if the fans were pushing air it’s not enough air to push the mud away. It definitely isn’t sucking enough air to pull the mud, whatever mud is in the radiator is going to get there either way.

On edit: I would think pulling air from above would actually pull dust into the radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just reversing the direction, will have the fan blade pitch going the wrong direction. You'll loose efficiency at the fan, netting worse cooling.

I cut up my rad cover, still no problems, always have to wash the radiator anyhow.
IMG_0244.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts