Polaris ATV Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
From what i am seeing, I wouldn’t even mount the front (bash??) plate as the guru has one.
I'll look in the am but Im pretty sure you NEED the front plate.That secures the mid plate
Thanks, appreciate when you get the time for the pics or info.
Once i have the bumper installed (has fairlead plate) I will send to IB and see what they say also.

·
Registered
803 Posts
First pic shows the wheelwell gap filled with 2" pipe insulation
2 shows shorty bar
3 shows mid plate removed for Glacier plow
4 just shows more of the shorty bar
I believe with I/B you need their winch mount?? But if your using the guru bash plate you wouldent need it.
Your gonna have to do some Custom fabrication to get it to work.
I actually got numbers and a pattern for john at guru to do some minor tweaks to his full size stock bar.But decided to just keep the shorty bar
You would have to make sure you get the guru OVER the mid mount during instalation.
If the pictures dont show up PM me a number and Ill text them or email them to you

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thank you!
I was under the impression that my model you can use the Polaris winch (no mount needed) with IB plates.
Time will tell once I get them installed.

https://ironbaltic.com/us/products/skid-plates-plastic-skid-plates/skid-plate-full-set-plastic-polaris-sportsman-touring-850

“In order to install front upper skid plate part supplied with the full kit, the original Polaris winch has to be fitted!”

“Front lower part of the skid plate must be removed in order to use the Polaris OE 'Glacier III' snow plow system!”

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thank you!
I was under the impression that my model you can use the Polaris winch (no mount needed) with IB plates.
Time will tell once I get them installed.

https://ironbaltic.com/us/products/skid-plates-plastic-skid-plates/skid-plate-full-set-plastic-polaris-sportsman-touring-850

“In order to install front upper skid plate part supplied with the full kit, the original Polaris winch has to be fitted!”

“Front lower part of the skid plate must be removed in order to use the Polaris OE 'Glacier III' snow plow system!”
You can use the polaris winch(thats what i have)if your not going to use the IB
front bash plate you won't be using the IB fairlead mount Which is what the bash plate connects to.
I have the glacier pro and Yes the mid plate has to be removed for it to work(only take 5 minutes(tip remove the 4 washers and bolts on the back of mid plate then loosen all 4 of the connecting bolts on the front of the rear plate and turn the 2 in the way of the plow mount back under the rear plate and tighten them up.Once you get it youll see it:wink They are some damn nice skids,and the guru is top of the hill.

·
Registered
345 Posts
After riding the past hour doing laps around the house and through the ditches and managing to compact the snow in my driveway, I was thinking how nice it would be to have a plow!

Probably going for the Glacier iii also.

·
Registered
803 Posts
After riding the past hour doing laps around the house and through the ditches and managing to compact the snow in my driveway, I was thinking how nice it would be to have a plow!

Probably going for the Glacier iii also.
If you go with the Glacier 3 let me know.I have a couple blades for the G3
A 60" and 52" I'll sell ya at 1/2 price. We ride in binghamton area alot

·
Registered
345 Posts
so Nils (at IB) emailed and said that the front plate isn't needed to hold anything else on but it offers the most protection.
They came in last night and it might be a week or so before I get them on. and then probably change it when the ATV Guru bumper comes in.

·
Registered
345 Posts
do you have to take off a skid plate to change the oil filter?

·
Registered
803 Posts
do you have to take off a skid plate to change the oil filter?
No ,but I do anyway just to clean everything out.
And unless something has changed you will have to finish cutting out the Oil filter hole yourself,its already marked.And I think the drain plug also

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thank you. I will have to look more closely. I haven’t even found my oil filter yet LOL. It appears the drain plug hole is already cut. I will be taking photos on my journey

·
Registered
345 Posts
I will start a new thread soon, I have started installing these. One question though, I don’t see anyway to leave the oil filter protective plate on. I believe it has to be removed before attaching the skid plate. Is that correct?
That worries me a bit

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hell im thinking of just using self tapping Flat heads. It was always exposed before. Now it is just slightly lower.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Not impressed so far. Three days, a few hours each day. Cold!!

M6x16 bolts don’t even reach the plates on most of the areas. Some areas they reach beyond the skid less than 1/16” so the threads don’t hold at all when you start to tighten them. Getting x20’s tomorrow I hope. No reason they shouldn’t come with longer bolts as they would fit.

Another wasted day.
And the Center plate didn’t line up with the filter. I even loosened the front plate and upper front plate so I could push the Center plate forward a 1/4”.

And I had to file down the Center plates raised areas so the bolts would reach. Those need to either be shorter or the bolts need to be 5mm longer.

And my final question is, why is the left rear arm protection so much different than the right? The left protects twice as much.

Build date: 6/14/2016
Packed: 7/1/2016
SN: 0372-040?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts
I would shoot Nil's an email and ask him about the issues you are having. He was very responsive when I installed mine on my 570 T. Had an issue with the fit of the rear skid because there were only two plates connecting the the center and rear skids. He sent me a new center and rear section with the newer four plate connection, along with more mounting hardware. I now have brand new center and rear section pieces in my garage rafters.
Looking at a couple of the pictures you posted, something looks weird with your OEM plates as well. Those holes don't line up with the drain plug at all, unless it's just the angle that you took the pictures from. Everything looks slightly out of wack.
All of my hardware was of proper size and length, and everything lined up correctly.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Shot him an email last night.
Can’t wait on reply for install but I am sure he will get back to me.
Even without trying to install and dry fitting the bolt, it barely reaches through the skid. So it definitely isn’t holding the skid to the metal plates.
-1 this morning and no heat in garage but I need her moved so I can work on the truck.
Weird how the Center skid doesn’t line up perfectly centered. Even in their pics online and the printed instructions they sent.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Post 95 are pics of the IB skids. No OEM.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just measured rear plate and it is 7/16” thick.
Measured the footwell plates and they are 3/8”.
These are the only ones not installed.

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts
Post 95 are pics of the IB skids. No OEM.
I was referring to the first and third pictures in that post. Looking at the steel under the plastic skids.
The 570 oil filter isn't accessed from the bottom, so I didn't have to cut the big hole out for it. I assume they don't cut it out for you for those who would rather remove the skid for the filter change, instead of having it exposed. It wouldn't be easy to hit it with that extra 1/2" of protection around the hole, but it would always be on my mind where I ride.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts