Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Polaris 500 HO is locked in reverse. I disconnected the linkage from the shifter to the transmission and tried to make the lever at the transmission return. After exerting a tremendous amout of pull it released. Reconnected the linkage and was able to shift from neutral to high then reverse with NO problems. ( ATV was OFF). Drove it a short while and once again it became stuck in reverse. Did this process several times and it usually gets stuck in reverse but has been stuck in both HI and LOW
Do you think I have a transmission problem or could it be something else ?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once the transmission is freed up after first disconnecting the linkage, ( with the machine OFF ) it would allow shifting neutral to high , back to reverse and then forward to low gear. This shifting with the ATV OFF can be done repeatedly. I do not know if it is related but when the engine is running it seems to move initially with some resistance. almost as if you were trying to take off with the emergency brake on. With the machine running it is just a short matter of time before it locks up again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
transmission lock up

Gave it another try this morning. Shifted fine several times, engine off and cold. Drove it for 5 minutes and it started acting up again( difficult to get in and out of high or reverse ) When it would not come out of high easily i gave the gas a short bleep with my foot down on the footbrake.This seemed to help getting it out of reverse or high gear. Doing that helped for about three cycles then pulling hard on the shifter caused it to once again become frozen ( i believe it once again became disconnected inside the shifter) due to the transmission not wanting to allow shift lever movement at the tranny . Any thoughts on the cause ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does it have plenty of gear lube in it?? Sounds to me like maybe not enough gear lube and the gears ar getting hot and expanding and sticking to one another.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
trans lockup

Yes sir the trans is full with polaris gear oil. I spoke to a guy locally who advised me to put on a new belt.Something else about clutch not doing what it is supposed to do. I didnt fully undersatand, however tomorrow on goes a new belt.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
i doubt if a new belt will cure it. but ya never know
linkage adjustment
clutch issues
transmission issues

·
Registered
18 Posts
sounds like a linkage adjustment to me. when you remove the linkage at trans make sure shifter is in N then make sure trans is in N, adjust linkage so the bolt goes perfectly back in hole. i have had this problem and this fixed mine, hope it will yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts