Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my preddy timed and now clutch orr gears slipping wont hardly move just curious wT im gonna have to do to fix. 2004 troy lee.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
If the gears are slipping it will require a complete engine disassembly to repair, but gears typically slip (jump) in just one or two gears while all the rest are fine, so I will presume it's a clutch issue. first determine if it's the clutch or cable - cables can bind and hold the clutch in release - inspect the cable, if the inner wire can be moved in and out of the sheath with the force of pushing a straw into a Steak and Shake milkshake, then it's not the cable - if you have to push or pull the inner wire really hard from each end to get it move it might be the cable - if you have to use pliers to pull the wire through the sheath, the cable might be the only problem, but if you have been running with a bad cable, the clutch is probably toast. If you replace the clutch, get the friction plates, driven plates, springs, oil oil filter, engine cover gasket and a new clutch cable (I never replace a multi plate wet clutch without replacing the cable). If you are experienced, allow an hour to do the job - if inexperienced, get a manual and read it first - allow about 2 hours to include inspections and measurements as the work progresses and refer to the manual as necessary for proper assembly and tightening.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts