Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having wanted to upgrade OEM voltage regulator I purchased RMSTATOR Stage II HD Performance Upgrade voltage regulator that was “recommended” by salesperson as direct fit/Plug and Ride design. It came last Friday and “WRONG” it’s wiring harness is not correct for a Sportsman 570. Planned weekend ride didn’t happen. So, I spent some time over weekend researching options. Since, virtually all Polaris Sportsman’s, RZR’s, UTV’s, Aces use VR’s that are 3Phase 50 amp/500 watt voltage regulator’s and I’d heard great reviews on Rick’s Motorsport Electrics Hot Shot regulators made for RZR’s and Ace 570’s, it got me thinking why not. I called them Monday morning and spoke to a few of staff and they agreed that with slight modification of harness this would work. 3 hours later they called and said I could pick up. The quality of this is amazing. It’s built like a tank(the way it should be). 8 awg wiring with built in 50 amp fuse. This is rated at 70 amp’s which means it can handle more of the modifications like extra lighting, winches, hand warmer’s.... I convinced them that they should start building these for Polaris Atv’s and they agreed to start a line specifically for Sportsman’s. They said price will be $185.00. Truly a bargain for a real quality rectifier. Link shows it with RZR harness:
https://youtu.be/WYj6L1IESr8

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Law of physics

How can it handle 70 Amp if the fuse is 50 Amp ?
The unit may use components that will dissipate the heat generated by 70 amps of current, but the fuse protects the wires from overload. Fuses are not to protect the device.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just asked them and this is response:

“Correct - the system will only produce 50 amps so the fuse protects you on that. The reason we made a 70 amp unit is because you don't want it running at 100% capacity all the time - it would prematurely fail. With our 70 amp unit, you're running at about 70% of the duty cycle capability. So you put less stress on the components & they will last longer”.

Sounds like Latebird is right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts