Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the ricochet a-arm guards would keep the snow out from around my CV joints. Nope, they are just snow collectors. I took the fronts off and it was better and easier to clean the snow from around the CV joints.

do you think its better or worse to run A-arm guards in the deep snow?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I run them all year long. Yes they catch snow but it has never been an issue. I take out most of it when I am done and go have a beer until next time I go ride.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
It rained all day yesterday on the lake, created about 9" of slush on top of the ice and my ricochets acted as scoops..Once I got home I parked the bike in the garage,turned on the heat and problem solved. Needles to say I'll be greasing up the bike today.
I could see it being an issue if the bike is left outdoors to freeze up tho.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it's just snow but I don't want it freezing and ripping a cv boot. It's much easier to get to the CV boot with them off

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
399 Posts
I know it's just snow but I don't want it freezing and ripping a cv boot. It's much easier to get to the CV boot with them off

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2
That's why I just remove mine for the winter. Trails are closed to ATV's around here in the winter,so I'm just running the lake to the hut and back.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My got packed with snow and ice but no issue with the boots. Ram a piece of ice or a trick up there when plowing up there and you will tear the boot apart. I always keep a good coat of silicone on my boots. Food grade or the new WD silicone spray. I store my ATV outside with a cover and the boot area was packed but did not cause an issue but yes they do hold snow.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just clean it out every so often on the trail, an again when you put the quad away. If you keep a generous layer of silicone on the CV boot and it'll keep it from building up.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have always said this to people putting those guards on. I am no stranger to mods, but the stock a-arm guards work just fine, and don't trap snow and mud. I found that the aftermarket guards just catch stuff and then tear the boots while they are rubbing on mud or snow.

·
Premium Member
12,408 Posts
i love riding in the snow because it gets in all those hard to reach corners of the bike not even the best of washings can get to. also my garage is attached to the house so it stays above freezing for the most part. personally i cant ride without my skids but if u can then pull em off. otherwise u need to devise a system to melt the snow like setting up a small space heater or using a back-pack blower or a air nozzle attachment from an air compressor to remove the snow after u ride.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I feel I get more out of my a-arm guards i the winter than the summer. I can see the trail i the summer. I smack more sticks and rocks in the winter. When I'm done, it goes in the garage till next ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts