Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front A-arm skids are striking the front knuckle. I have the skid slid as far as possible towards the frame too. My steering isn't even fully turned. It rubs for about the last inch.
Has anyone else had this issue? I can bend this away in a vise, it just seems odd. All the other sections went on precisely.

·
Premium Member
10,338 Posts
easy, not to long ago I was out on a ride and popped a snow covered tree stump. next day when cleaning and inspecting I noticed the front a-arm ricochet was bent and rubbing my strut/bearing carrier. I took two of my biggest channel locks tapped the jaws up really good with electrical tape and bent it back to normal. I had removed the wheel but left the skid bolted up. it took some convincing to bend that mutha back, but I had to work it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mine rub ever so slightly but it doesn't sound like as much as yours. Those guards only go on one way. On mine there's a retaining bolt that goes in a hole under the a-arms, meaning my guards have no leeway to slide one way or the other, they position based on that one hole one way only.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Contact the company,.........sounds like you got the wrong set.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine has the retaining bolt on the bottom also. It is from the OEM plastic guard that gets reused. There is a very slight amount of slack that I pushed all the way towards the frame. I could wallow that hole out to slide the skid further, but I think I will be creating a clearance issue at the other end.
I think I will either bend the aluminum forward a bit or grind some off. I may send these photos over to Ricochet out of curiosity, but I know I can make it work with some modifying. Weird because the rest of their kit is spot on.

·
Premium Member
10,338 Posts
my initial thoughts were to bend it only because u had them mounted. It didn't occur to me they could be possibly the wrong skids, since the did mount up. bend don't wallow, if u smack the skid on the trail and the holes or enlarged it makes possible for the skid to re interfere with the steering knuckle.

I actually had to modify my rics. the rear upper a-arm flange at the frame came in contact with the skid on full suspension compression and I had to drill an access hole for the engine oil drain plug.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
With both sets I had plenty of room in that area to spare. Only thing that I had to do was grind down a little aluminum where it came in contact near the winch mount (Front lower suspension mounts). On the second set for my other 550 it was already addressed. No issues at all.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
I don't know if it is even possible to do, but do you have the left and right guards on the wrong sides?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, they are on the correct sides. The front of the skid is tallest to prevent debris penetration. There isn't much of a folded up lip on the back side if that makes sense.

I just marked a bend line and pulled them off. Put them in a vice and easily bent if forward by hand. Kind of a bummer cause it cracked my $100 anodizing along the bend point. Oh well, they will be scraped up soon anyhow.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is in the air at full extension, but that will happen while riding too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did you slide it up towards the frame all the way? Mine fit perfect 2013 850 XP
but when I put them on if I didn't slide up they would have hit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts