Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that people have trouble with skids rattling. I received my full skid kit today and wondered if I shouldn't place some sort of padding in between the points of contact with the ATV's frame tubing. Some real thin rubber or something.
Anyone do this or is it not needed?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I never had any issues with Ricochet rattling. Once you hit some rocks, it will cave in really nice...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
1000+ miles on mine with no rattles, just loud bangs from the rocks I nail :D

Just make sure all the clamps are tightened down good and you should be just fine! Did you get the model with the oil filter cover? I highly recommend it, but its a PITA to remove/install each time I do an oil change lol.

OHHH and word the wise, when installing (if doing it by yourself) Use a floor jack to support the main body panel and front bash panel and lift them into place. Makes the whole process a heck of a lot easier!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
no noise on mine either. I did change out the torx bolts for stainless hex heads as I stripped out one of the Torx. Just more convenient for me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Have not had a noise out of mine. The only problem you will have is with the oil filter access door. The threaded inserts are to big and hit the frame pushing the access panel out so it is not flush. I put a splined insert in witch took up less room.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Have not had a noise out of mine. The only problem you will have is with the oil filter access door. The threaded inserts are to big and hit the frame pushing the access panel out so it is not flush. I put a splined insert in witch took up less room.
WTH?

Mine has two small screws that go into counter sunk holes in my plate, then through the stock steel plate and nylon lock nuts on the back and its sits flush to the frame and the main body skid. I wonder if they changed up the design within the last year or two.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should mention that I didn't mean Ricochet specific for rattling issues. When I rode sport quads it was common to hear that on the forums of the rattling issue. Thanks for the heads up on the oil pan bolt issue. I will keep an eye on the install there. I took some photos to show what my threaded nut area looks like.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Wow, yeah that is a new design! Don't get me wrong, it'll be A LOT easier to remove it with that new design, but if they aren't lining up flush to the frame, maybe they need to go back to the drawing board. Can always ask them what's up if its not fitting right. Ricochet has great customer service, so I'm fairly confident they'd help ya get it resolved if problem arose.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes those are the threaded rivets that will hit the frame and push the access door down. I used a splined insert took up less room. It is the same splined insert on a ford air filter box. 2004 focus should work.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
No Ricochet rattles here!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Installed mine today.....no rattles, but there was a reinforcement "hoop" on the top side of the oil filter access panel. This was bottoming in the frame, exerting a lot of pressure on the panel. I removed the panel and removed the reinforcement ring. All good now.

Hell of a system.........fir like a glove!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, mine installed with ease. I did have to bend some clearance on the front A-arm skids. They would rub the front knuckle at full extension and full turn.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I changed my oil & filter today and forgot the door wasn't flush by design. No biggie though... I feel so much more confident riding with this extra protection on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts