Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,
Since I can't go to work, I've dusted off my old 2 stroke xplorer 300 after 5 years, and I'm trying to make it run again.
I tore down and cleaned the carb, replaced fuel lines and filter, drained, cleaned and refilled gas tank, changed oil, adjusted the choke, new air filter, new spark plug. brand new battery.
Confirmed a spark was present when I manually cranked, and confirmed I'm getting gas through the filter and into the cylinder. ATV In neutral Fuel on, Key on, choke on, "run" on, but It will not hit one single lick! Even with Starting fluid. Also, no power is getting from the Battery to the ATV: no starter, dash indicators or lights. I don't know if this is a 2nd problem, or if many for some reason the 300 won't crank without battery power present?

Any help on either of these issues (and whether they are related) would be truly appreciated!
GP

·
Registered
169 Posts
I’d start at the battery and work forward checking/cleaning connection points. Bet you find a corroded ground connection or something similar.

·
10,595 Posts
I'd go through all electrical connections, grounding points, switches etc. cleaning, sanding, dielectric greasing everything on it. After sitting that long you might also want to check that you don't have a mouse nest in the exhaust. Those little buggers are notorious for packing them full of stuff and chewing wires.
Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
I'll presume it's an Xplorer 400 and not a 300

Power goes from the battery, through a circuit breaker to the key switch - check for voltage on the red wire at the key switch, with the key on and plugged in, check for voltage on the red/blk wire at the handlebar switch - with the handlebar switch on, there should be voltage on the red/wht wire, with power on the red/wht wire, you should get some lights or the starter might run. Let me know what you discover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No voltage at the key or the On-off switch. Tonight I;ll try to trace voltage from the battery with a meter. This is an Xplorer 300 BTW. Could this also be the cause of the failure to start, or do I have two separate problems? GP

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
You may have two separate issues - the Xplorer 300 does need a battery for the engine to run - the battery is just to run the lights, AWD, electric starter and other DC powered accessories.

Check for spark - if none, disconnect the black wire from the CDI box and check again - if unplugging the black wire regains spark, then try to find out where the black wire in the wiring harness is connected to ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts