Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got a 2005(6?) Sportsman 700 Twin EFI. Great rig. Been romping around the yard all over with it. Never had an ATV before, and I'm hooked.

Wife and kiddo sometimes join me out back. Two questions, and a quick discussion.

First, suspension. With the extra weight the rear tires hit the fenders. I need to stiffen that up a bit. There a part number, source, or manufacturer I need to look at? I'm not planning on running the Dakar or anything. So just some basic, stiffer springs to hold more weight is all I need.

Secondly is the seat. I see these pillion seats, but man that really raises the COG huh? There's no worry of flipping back at all? Just seems like its really tall.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
It's not made for riding two - read the owners manual - passengers are prohibited

Just like laws, not everyone obeys them, so do what your conscience allows you to do, but don't bitch about the machine being unsafe or poorly designed if you use it in a way that it was not designed to be used and someone gets hurt or worse.

Trade it in and get an X2 (designed for a passenger) or a side by side - hell, just get a jeep and take the neighbor kid with you too!

I got a bad attitude in case you couldn't tell - I'm old and grouchy - comes with the territory.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh. I had no idea there was a difference between a single rider and a two up machine. I thought they were all the same. I come from a motorcycle background, and I thought it'd be the same way of adding a stiffer shock in the rear for more weight. I thought a two up seat and stiffer shocks in the rear was normal for atv.

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts
Nope, they are completely different machines. You can get away with a child riding with you. But another adult will dangerously overload it. Just means that you have to get another machine for your wife! Not a bad deal really.........

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Yep..... As Stave said..... Just buy two......
2.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, they are completely different machines. You can get away with a child riding with you. But another adult will dangerously overload it. Just means that you have to get another machine for your wife! Not a bad deal really.........
Yea, this is an option too. I'd almost prefer two rigs. Riding all day two up I think would get old. Love having my own ride.

Huh. Yep, had no idea there were two different rigs. Solves that then.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
So pick up a touring so the wife a kiddo can come with when you want. I've seen plenty people ride 2-up on a single passenger ATV. But it's one of those things once it goes south it can turn tragic in an instant. Not worth it never is. You can get a killer deal on a 570 touring with EPS (power steering) mama will love it!!!

As for springs you can crank up the pre load or get a HD set from EPI or Highlighter.

·
9,461 Posts
You can put HD springs on your 700 but the 2up machines frame is about a foot longer and comes with stiffer springs, a passenger seat, passenger foot rests and hand holds as standard equipment. There's a lot of guys that buy the 2up machines and use them primarily for solo riding just because they are longer and more stable.

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
I am one of those who bought the Touring model for the extended wheel base, and the stability that comes with it. My wife bought hers, and a few months later I decided that I needed one too. :) The 850 XP went away and the 570 Touring took it's place. We each ride solo, or my wife with the dogs. The extended wheelbase makes an incredible difference for riding two-up or carrying a load on the rear. I would never buy another single rider atv again after owning these.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
huh. wow. I never even would have thought that there were different frames. Good stuff. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
I'm another one with the white 570 Touring (EPS) definitely the way to go. I've gone over backwards riding 2 up on a 1 up machine. Luckily I was able to hold it up and let my step son (riding in front of me) crawl out from under it. No injuries, and minimal damage. that was the last time I rode 2 up on a 1 up machine. not sure I'd be able to do the same on the 570. Luckily I haven't had to find out.

Touring or sxs. a 570 trail Rzr for the wife & kids would probably suit them nicely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 500 HO, and riding 2-up has never been a problem, even with the passenger being larger than the driver. Maybe the springs on my machine are stiffer than yours?

The factory 2-up looks cool though, and I'd keep that in mind for a second machine. I don't think I'd have that as my only one though, because I wouldn't want to give up the maneuverability of the regular quad (if there is a noticeable difference).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm cracking up right now... I ride with my wife and my sons on my 04 600 all the time. Nothing unsafe about it as long as you aren't doing something dumb. I can't speak about the size of your passengers..., but my wife is about 110 and my oldest is 150. Maybe that's the problem people are having.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
When you are done cracking and get out, just remember when the unexpected happens it is not the fault of the machine - the responsibility is with the operator and I hope nothing serious occurs, but when (not if) it does I hope you have the intestinal fortitude to accept the responsibility of the consequences of your decision to ignore the warnings. People ignore rules, laws and warnings constantly and are rewarded with tragedy then have the gall to say it wasn't their fault. You don't want me on the jury when you try to sue the manufacturer for your arrogance and ignorance. The fault will be yours primarily for scoffing at the warnings and the passenger subsequently for accepting your invitation to behave stupidly.

I can speak from experience and when my son got hurt while riding with me, I accepted the responsibility of my actions and got him the necessary medical aid. Fortunately the injury was not serious or life threatening, but it was the end of riding two-up. When he was old enough to understand that the sport was fraught danger and that if his decision to participate resulted in an injury it was not the fault of the machine, the manufacturer of the machine, the landowner of the property where he was 'enjoying' the sport or the people he was riding with, then I got him his own vehicle and we rode together. The scar is a reminder that no matter how responsible or skilled a person is, having a passenger (even on a machine designed for one) just increases the odds that an injury is a likely reward.

It's only fun until someone gets hurt! I hope it is minor when it happens for the sake of you and the injured person whether they are a passenger or a bystander.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Oh brother kid... I'm 46 not 12. I've actually been on two wheels and a million other off road vehicles for 40 years. I don't subscribe to the nanny state crap. I don't need to be lectured on taking responsibility.
"It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out!"

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Yeah, you are young and dumb. My daughter is 44 (her boys are 6 and 5) and my son is 39 with several scars - one is a reminder of my stupidity - the rest are his own.

I'm 69 going on 18 - I started racing motorcycles at 15 back in the day of run what you brung!

We raced modified road bikes off road - Triumph, BSA, Harley, Indian, Ducati, Norton, Bultaco, Ossa, Aprilia, Benelli and a few Honda's - in a vintage race you might see a Henderson, Rudge, Excelsior, or Laverda.

I had my own motorcycle repair business when Honda introduced the ATC 90.

A lot of people got hurt on the ATC; operators as well as passengers - there is no time or age limit for ignorance or stupidity. People rode two-up on horses and a lot of unsaddled 'passengers' fell off. I did - once. It only took one time to learn.

Do what your conscience allows, but accept the responsibility when tragedy strikes.

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
I have a 2012 500 HO, and riding 2-up has never been a problem, even with the passenger being larger than the driver. Maybe the springs on my machine are stiffer than yours?

The factory 2-up looks cool though, and I'd keep that in mind for a second machine. I don't think I'd have that as my only one though, because I wouldn't want to give up the maneuverability of the regular quad (if there is a noticeable difference).
You lose basically no maneuverability with the 2-up machine, and actually gain the ability to do some things that the 1-up machines can't do. It also rides a little better due to the longer wheelbase.
Lots of people say riding double on a 1-up machines isn't a problem, until it is. With the options available today, there is no reason or valid excuse to do it.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Oh brother kid... I'm 46 not 12. I've actually been on two wheels and a million other off road vehicles for 40 years. I don't subscribe to the nanny state crap. I don't need to be lectured on taking responsibility.
"It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out!"
Except in this situation it's all fun and games until someone is severely injured or killed. Don't get me wrong, if you want to add someone's name or your wife or child's name to the Darwin award lists, that's on you. but there is a reason that the manufacturer says don't do it, and most state laws say it's not legal. and it's not so the manufacturers can just sell more rigs. (they wouldn't make 2up machines if that were the case)

I went from a midsize Hawkeye to the 570 touring and have yet to find a situation where I would have rather had the midsize frame over the touring frame as far as maneuverability is concerned.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, yes, vote for helmet laws too because your opinions should make a difference when it comes to my personal safety. Wait a minute, no, it shouldn't... I really do not care if you guys like it or not.
I'm not launching my 800 lb 4x4 quad off jumps with my kids or my wife on the back. I'm talking about puttering around my 10 acre property. I'll bet you guys are the same ones that would have a heart attack if you saw kids sitting on the wheel wells in the bed of a truck. Ermehgawd...
Relax folks... Nobody gets out alive.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts