Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
9,461 Posts
I was reluctant to speak up in this thread but here goes my 2 cents.
Now, I'm not trying to bust your chops here Hawk. Riding your wife and kids around the yard or on flat ground is not really dangerous so long as you're careful. I myself sometimes let my 6 year-old grandson ride with me on the farm to feed the cattle and the fish. He rides in front of me where I've sorta got him locked in between my arms and legs and he can hang on the bars or seat front. We never go very fast and he's a pretty good helper to hop off to open and close gates for his papaw. Not nearly as dangerous as when I grew up riding in a car with no seat belts and on tractors, bulldozers, log skidders, etc. Luckily I lived through it all without getting crushed and with no major injuries but I did have some close calls that could have turned out very differently. I always heard the good lord looks out for drunks, fools and little kids and I suppose it must be true or I wouldn't be here typing this lol.
Times have changed nowadays in a big way! There's the very real possibility of civil and criminal liability if your actions gets somebody else seriously injured of killed. Adults, like your wife, are generally held to be responsible for their own safety decisions but minors don't have that legal capacity. The nanny state can severely restrict or even terminate your parental rights for subjecting kids to an unreasonable risk of harm. And guess who determines what's "reasonable" or not... The nanny state of which you speak!
As for my bunch, when we go trail riding the grandson wears his protective gear and rides his own machine. Same goes for his mamaw… or his mom... or anyone else that wants to go with me. If I get myself hurt that's on me. Same for them. That's how you learn. But I will not be responsible for getting a loved one hurt by riding behind me. I'm sure latebird has regretted putting that scar on his son many times over the years. The other scars his son has are his own but DAD is responsible for that one. He can never undo it or take it back.
Everything in life has risks. But you can unnecessarily increase those risks by things like driving drunk, leaving poison or drugs lying around where children can get in it, spinning a loaded gun around on your finger like a wild west cowboy to show your friends or routinely riding double on a solo machine. I hope you never have any reason to regret that choice!
Good luck and be safe.

·
9,461 Posts
LOL, I just saw your last post Hawk. NO, I DO NOT believe in trying to save everyone from themselves as seems to be the trend nowadays. I'll be the first to stand with you on that. As I said above, just puttering around the farm is no big deal but I see guys out in the boonies and even on top of the Rockies with their girlfriend on the back of an old Honda 2wd or similar. That is just irresponsible and not safe no matter how you slice it!

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
It happens all too frequently:

Counselors will be on hand at Clinton High School this week to help students deal with the loss of 14-year-old Kloe Weiss, a freshman who died Saturday evening following an ATV crash near her home in rural Clinton.
DeWitt County Coroner Randy Rice said the teenager was pronounced dead at the scene at 7:20 p.m. Saturday.
“Kloe and a passenger were riding on the ATV and lost control. Both were thrown off the ATV. The passenger was transferred to OSF St. Joseph Medical Center (in Bloomington). She was treated for broken bones and released."
Weiss was a cheerleader at Clinton High School and also active on her family farm, the Wagon Wheel Pumpkin Farm, in rural Clinton.

In a tweet, Clinton High School Principal Jerry Wayne informed students of the news Sunday morning.

It was the second time this calendar year a student at the school died. Spencer Toohill, a junior at Clinton High School known for his inclusive personality and constant smile, died in a single-vehicle crash in March. He was 17.

In the above case the operator died and the passenger survived - the vehicle was not designed for a passenger. They were just puttering around on the family farm. I know both families and had done oil changes on the quad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Boy, didn't think this would be such a heated topic. Then again, Internet.

So yea, right now I'm bumbling along my 20 acres. Low gear. Creeping along. There are two brooks we cross now and then which is fun. But I'm not climbing 60º hills or punching it. Hell, I never had the throttle wide open at all. I'm on a HEAVILY wooded lot. I can barely fit through the trees. I rigged up a strap to the frame rails under the seat so kiddo can hold on. He sits in front between my legs. I could see us loading the ATV in the truck and going somewhere for a long weekend, but that's not even in the books yet. Just doing a weekend trip, I'd want a second rig just in case. We get stuck somewhere and have to walk back, that would suck.

But yea, I had no idea there were different frames and whatnot. For now I'll keep an eye out for a second rig for short money. A 570 or even smaller for the wife. She's new to this and I don't need her on something she cannot control. Kind of like how I start motorcycles on a little 250.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
BTW Woodsman603..... you have your index finger to far in the trigger..... use the pad on the finger before the first joint....

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Boy, didn't think this would be such a heated topic. Then again, Internet.
you should see what happens on a welding forum when someone starts talking about welding on a trailer. this is nothing.

Frankly, I don't care what an adult does on their own time, to themselves. it's when the involve others in their pour choices that it becomes an issue. If someone knowing the risks makes a decision for themselves. by all means, go for it.

No, riding around the property probably won't be a problem, but eventually the property won't cut it, and the drive to explore and push things will take over. That's where it becomes unsafe.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
BTW Woodsman603..... you have your index finger to far in the trigger..... use the pad on the finger before the first joint....
you do realize that that's a picture of John Goodman from The Big Lebowski right?

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
It's a big deal cause WE know how bad things can get out there. We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two!!!

·
9,461 Posts
you should see what happens on a welding forum when someone starts talking about welding on a trailer. this is nothing.

Frankly, I don't care what an adult does on their own time, to themselves. it's when the involve others in their pour choices that it becomes an issue. If someone knowing the risks makes a decision for themselves. by all means, go for it.

No, riding around the property probably won't be a problem, but eventually the property won't cut it, and the drive to explore and push things will take over. That's where it becomes unsafe.
I'm curious Hammer... What about welding on a trailer?
They'd probably freak out about my pulling the axles out from under our 24' cargo trailer to weld the spring mounts on top of the axles for more ground clearance and then loading it full of atv's and camping gear to drive all the way across country and back lol.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I used to weld on trailers - you have to be a certified welder and God forbid a weld break or the structure be weakened from overheating or whatever. It puts the company at risk, the driver at risk, the lives of other people on the road at risk and places liability on the person doing the welding.

·
9,461 Posts
I used to weld on trailers - you have to be a certified welder and God forbid a weld break or the structure be weakened from overheating or whatever. It puts the company at risk, the driver at risk, the lives of other people on the road at risk and places liability on the person doing the welding.
Yeah, I know its a high liability undertaking latebird. I've got a friend that owns a trailer company. I was just curious as to what some of the contentious welding forum discussions were about. :unsure:

Many years ago when I thought of myself as a young hotshot welder, my dad wanted me to cut a old B Model Mack truck tractor in half and add a 10 foot frame section in the middle to build a tandem axle log truck. He needed a tough-as-nails tandem for hauling logs out of the mountains to the mill. I thought he was crazy and figured it would break in the middle on the first load and told him so lol. It always worried me and for several years after the build I'd check it for cracks every time I caught it at the mill yard but never did find any. I must have really been on top of my game for that one because they hauled logs with it out of some extremely rough country for about 10 or 12 years and then sold it to another logger. Last I heard it was still going strong with no problems lol.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
We are talking semi-trailers, not utility pull behind trailers. I built a 40' tri axle pintle hitch trailer for hauling a back hoe on - it was inspected by the state, approved and a title issued. It's for sale now if anyone would be interested - it needs to be rewired and maybe re-decked, but for what it is; it's cheap. Asking $1200. If it sits too long, it will get cut up and scrapped out or re-purposed. My son want a bridge on his mini farm to get across the creek and this bridge is on wheels. I told him to use his bulldozer to push it into place, cut the wheels and hitch off and anchor both ends. Instant bridge.

·
9,461 Posts
We are talking semi-trailers, not utility pull behind trailers. I built a 40' tri axle pintle hitch trailer for hauling a back hoe on - it was inspected by the state, approved and a title issued. It's for sale now if anyone would be interested - it needs to be rewired and maybe re-decked, but for what it is; it's cheap. Asking $1200. If it sits too long, it will get cut up and scrapped out or re-purposed. My son want a bridge on his mini farm to get across the creek and this bridge is on wheels. I told him to use his bulldozer to push it into place, cut the wheels and hitch off and anchor both ends. Instant bridge.
Yep, that would work.
I'll mention it around to see if any of the local guys might be interested.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Every time someone does something dumb on a quad, Polaris adds a warning sticker! Pretty soon, we won't have color choices, we'll just have font choices...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Recently got a 2005(6?) Sportsman 700 Twin EFI. Great rig. Been romping around the yard all over with it. Never had an ATV before, and I'm hooked.

Wife and kiddo sometimes join me out back. Two questions, and a quick discussion.

First, suspension. With the extra weight the rear tires hit the fenders. I need to stiffen that up a bit. There a part number, source, or manufacturer I need to look at? I'm not planning on running the Dakar or anything. So just some basic, stiffer springs to hold more weight is all I need.

Secondly is the seat. I see these pillion seats, but man that really raises the COG huh? There's no worry of flipping back at all? Just seems like its really tall.

Thanks all.
ya gotta watch, because of so many injuries from two people riding on a single (you're right flipping backward) many states are now looking at atv registrations and if doesn't come up as factory-built two-up, well, ticket time. Doesn't matter who passenger, but a child also on is checked in a heartbeat.
just a thought. Have seen a few of my buddies doing it in upper peninsula, and believe me, dnr and staties frown on it....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Every time someone does something dumb on a quad, Polaris adds a warning sticker! Pretty soon, we won't have color choices, we'll just have font choices...
thats due to educationally challenged people getting hurt doing something stupid and trying to sue the mfgr.
Ya gotta wonder how many stupid people it took before companies had to put the warning "Do NOT iron clothes while wearing"
😂

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
I'm curious Hammer... What about welding on a trailer?
They'd probably freak out about my pulling the axles out from under our 24' cargo trailer to weld the spring mounts on top of the axles for more ground clearance and then loading it full of atv's and camping gear to drive all the way across country and back lol.
Mainly it's when a hobbyist gets on and ask "can I do this", or "should I do that" type questions. and for many of the guys on there, if you have to ask, you shouldn't be touching a trailer because of the liability involved and the chance of injuries to innocent bystanders. The first questions that are asked are "how long have you been welding? What tools do you have at you disposal? how much practice do you have using the method/tool you're planning on using? and What positions are you capable of making good welds in?"

nothing wrong with doing a spring over swap if you know what you're doing and how to do it. I did the same on my 14' 7k tandem axle.

but seriously, the doom and gloom on those posts is pretty serious.

but rarely is it concern about the user/maker. it's the people that have no idea they are following or crossing paths with potential death traps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Huh. I had no idea there was a difference between a single rider and a two up machine. I thought they were all the same. I come from a motorcycle background, and I thought it'd be the same way of adding a stiffer shock in the rear for more weight. I thought a two up seat and stiffer shocks in the rear was normal for atv.
First of I’m surprised you didn’t tell Mr. Grouch just to F off. I mean at least your on probably his site asking about their stock. Let me tell you I had what your worried about happen to my son and his friend. They will flip and the shocks on my coolster 125cc bent when I only weighed 155. I recommend you don’t waste your time bullshitting and replace those damn shocks and any other additions you may need to do to save your life. Their not thinking of safety mostly money. Can’t you tell by the attitude from their texts. Seems like it’s a common problem, you were correct and he got mad because he’s tired of defending trash and lies. So to You Mr. Grouch stop ripping people off by marketing cheap parts and using the excuse you need to spend more money for the more expensive one if you want to have no problems. Which is a lie in itself. Even the best brand name or better parts won’t stop the possibility of something going wrong period. Member 153105 stick with your gut upgrade parts when possible it could save yours and your sons life. P.s. F u Mr Grump The man is just trying to be safe it was asking you an honest question he was not even degrading anything

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently got a 2005(6?) Sportsman 700 Twin EFI. Great rig. Been romping around the yard all over with it. Never had an ATV before, and I'm hooked.

Wife and kiddo sometimes join me out back. Two questions, and a quick discussion.

First, suspension. With the extra weight the rear tires hit the fenders. I need to stiffen that up a bit. There a part number, source, or manufacturer I need to look at? I'm not planning on running the Dakar or anything. So just some basic, stiffer springs to hold more weight is all I need.

Secondly is the seat. I see these pillion seats, but man that really raises the COG huh? There's no worry of flipping back at all? Just seems like its really tall.

Thanks all.
I was reluctant to speak up in this thread but here goes my 2 cents.
Now, I'm not trying to bust your chops here Hawk. Riding your wife and kids around the yard or on flat ground is not really dangerous so long as you're careful. I myself sometimes let my 6 year-old grandson ride with me on the farm to feed the cattle and the fish. He rides in front of me where I've sorta got him locked in between my arms and legs and he can hang on the bars or seat front. We never go very fast and he's a pretty good helper to hop off to open and close gates for his papaw. Not nearly as dangerous as when I grew up riding in a car with no seat belts and on tractors, bulldozers, log skidders, etc. Luckily I lived through it all without getting crushed and with no major injuries but I did have some close calls that could have turned out very differently. I always heard the good lord looks out for drunks, fools and little kids and I suppose it must be true or I wouldn't be here typing this lol.
Times have changed nowadays in a big way! There's the very real possibility of civil and criminal liability if your actions gets somebody else seriously injured of killed. Adults, like your wife, are generally held to be responsible for their own safety decisions but minors don't have that legal capacity. The nanny state can severely restrict or even terminate your parental rights for subjecting kids to an unreasonable risk of harm. And guess who determines what's "reasonable" or not... The nanny state of which you speak!
As for my bunch, when we go trail riding the grandson wears his protective gear and rides his own machine. Same goes for his mamaw… or his mom... or anyone else that wants to go with me. If I get myself hurt that's on me. Same for them. That's how you learn. But I will not be responsible for getting a loved one hurt by riding behind me. I'm sure latebird has regretted putting that scar on his son many times over the years. The other scars his son has are his own but DAD is responsible for that one. He can never undo it or take it back.
Everything in life has risks. But you can unnecessarily increase those risks by things like driving drunk, leaving poison or drugs lying around where children can get in it, spinning a loaded gun around on your finger like a wild west cowboy to show your friends or routinely riding double on a solo machine. I hope you never have any reason to regret that choice!
Good luck and be safe.
Welll said bravo

21 - 40 of 44 Posts