Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Wasn't sure where to post this, thought this was the closest forums in relation.
Im interested in getting a camera for riding.
What do you use?
Seems like the gopro is the most popular from what I have seen,
But I cant seem to bring myself to spend 450$ on a camera,
Curious to see if there are any good low budget cam's that work good
Thanks for your time and any replies :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
There are few options that are cheaper than the GoPro but cheaper for a reason. Google some comparison reviews and the choice will be clear. Most often you get what you pay for. Also the GoPro is $50-$100 more, and that's not too bad to own the premium action cam currently in the market.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
X2 on Turbo's post. You get what you pay for! Even though GoPro is 450$, show me another camera that is THAT small, can do about 1-1.5hrs of recording in HD, and can do 4k with video on wifi so you can adjust your mount via watching it on your smartphone. I will say though, you can easily pick up the Silver edition Go Pro Hero3+ for 299$ before tax from bestbuy. That camera mimicks the specs of the older Hero2 generation but the quality of the sensor array and the internal video processing is superior to it! If you are just looking for a good cam to capture your adventures and then just share the video with family/friends and keep for memories later on, then the Silver will be perfect for ya. The Black edition is for those that have large fan followings on youtube and/or do A LOT of video processing to make those awesome movies you see online. Mostly over kill but still a damn good price for it IMO!

·
Registered
862 Posts
have Sony hdr As15, and a El cheapo Vivitar 787. The Sony takes great video, got it on Amazon for $125, the Vivitar was 39 on Walmart. Com. Got that for risky video, if it gets trashed no big deal. Go pro's are fine if you can afford it, but there are other options that work fine for a fraction of the cost, which can follow you to use more then one camera too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
862 Posts
The Sony, it's too cold to play with the Vivitar on the quad yet lol.

The cam you linked is exactly the same as the Vivitar.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Go pro hero3 black. It works incredible well if you can get a good stable mount.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the GoPro is a nice one...my buddy has a Drift Ghost S takes great pics an video....also seen that the Ion Air pro was a good one...all close to 400.00....but you get what you pay for...

Edit:: i was just online looking at them..I see Garmin has one now that they say is very good...The Virb

·
Registered
129 Posts
Go Pro Hero 3+ black - have used it a little on the front rack extension on the 570 - not bad - have also used it to photograph overall photos from the church balconys, etc when doing wedding photography - fired it from the first floor with a smartphone - haven't tried the remote yet. I am pleased with it -and looking forward to using it more this summer - going to Hatfield McCoy the end of March - hopefully get some video there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think I may have hooked the wife on the Gopro black surf addition,,
Told her all the good things that she could use it for with our little one. ;) (swimming,walks,pictures etc)
Soo.. is there any mounts or accessories I should consider?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I just use my S3

got a samsung S3 handlebar mount for $6 on ebay. Videos are pretty good and the cost is how i like it! :cowboy:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Go Pro. No other choice. They are using them to do TV shows and movie B roll now. They are just that good of video quality out of a small package.

Get a used one on eBay or Craigslist. Their are tons of them out there for sale. Hero 3 and up.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
I use the Ghost HD camera. It has a rotating lens. Come with wireless remote that is also lighted so you know what setting it is in and best of all if its on or not. Helmet mount, goggle mount, flat mount, battery,remote with wrist band, Its waterproof up to 9 feet and is very easy to use. Also has a free app so you can control it and see what you recorded on your Iphone or Smartphone. I have been using it for about 6 months now and love it. So easy to use. Any questions about it feel free to call the shop and ask for Thor.

Its a great package for $280 delivered! DRIFT HD GHOST ACTION CAMERA

Here is a sample video of me plowing with the RZR.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Like smoothbassman said, gopro is so good they are making tv shows and movies with them!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Think I may have hooked the wife on the Gopro black surf addition,,
Told her all the good things that she could use it for with our little one. ;) (swimming,walks,pictures etc)
Soo.. is there any mounts or accessories I should consider?
Ram Mounts make some good go pro mounts - there is a whole load of mounts on Amazon.com

·
Registered
129 Posts
While were talking about this - I am just a little afraid of the stick-on mount for my go pro for my helmet - are there any other options to mount my cam to my helmet???

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
While were talking about this - I am just a little afraid of the stick-on mount for my go pro for my helmet - are there any other options to mount my cam to my helmet???
They make a few strap mounts that may work, check here: GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera

I have mine mounted to my helmet and have been over 70+ MPH indicated (have larger then stock tires too) down a long stretch of dirt road and it did great with the sticky mounts. Once they are on there...they're pretty much not coming off unless you're purposefully trying to remove them.

When I look down in the video, that's when it was doing about 72mph

EDIT: That video is really shaky because the mount spot I had it on is at the front of the break-off shield on my helmet. Ran out of sticky mounts at that time. Now there's another mount on my actual helmet is exponentially better for stability. ...so even in a bad mounting spot it still did great :D

1 - 20 of 66 Posts