Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some research and found out that there are approx. 1000 miles of trails available to ride in NH. I'm from RI and have a new Sportsman 800 that is in dire need of getting some miles on her. RI sucks and has no places to ride legally. Luckily my uncle has a small camp somewhere near Lancaster, NH and I'm thinking of going up this summer with my 5 year old son to do some riding. Can anyone give me any info or tips on these trails. I've done some homework but kinda wanted to get first hand knowledge of the trail systems by actual riders. It's about a 4-5 hour drive for us. Thanks. Any info, tips, tricks will be helpful.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Check out my other post for this Saturday. There are several members that ride in NH. The southern trail systems should not be too far of a ride for you.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Ive ridden the Northern part of NH and it is amazing. of course for us (im in SE MA so i feel your pain) any riding is good riding. that 1000 miles of RTW is very well taken care of. still some good mud and some techinical climbs if you want to do them, or you can stay on the easier trails. there are maps at almost all of the gas stations and the area is very accommodating. there is also a Polaris dealer in Lancaster, if you ever need a part quick. we went twice last year, hoping to double that this year for sure.

Check out Statelineriders.com its a local-ish club out of Stafford CT/Monson MA. they are planning a ride up at Trailside in North Stratford in June. there isnt much for riding up there until then. between snow and then Mud Season, i dont think trails open till Memorial day weekend.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I enjoy the trails in North Strattford and you can stay at the Grand ole Lodge cheap and ride to the gas station and your right on the trails

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds great. Thanks. I can't wait. I probably won't get up there till June but would love to hear more about the whole state.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ive ridden the Northern part of NH and it is amazing. of course for us (im in SE MA so i feel your pain) any riding is good riding. that 1000 miles of RTW is very well taken care of. still some good mud and some techinical climbs if you want to do them, or you can stay on the easier trails. there are maps at almost all of the gas stations and the area is very accommodating. there is also a Polaris dealer in Lancaster, if you ever need a part quick. we went twice last year, hoping to double that this year for sure.

Check out Statelineriders.com its a local-ish club out of Stafford CT/Monson MA. they are planning a ride up at Trailside in North Stratford in June. there isnt much for riding up there until then. between snow and then Mud Season, i dont think trails open till Memorial day weekend.
do you know when they open for spring? I have heard as late as June due to mud??? Would like to plan a run in the next 4-6 weeks before it gets too warm out and the flys are bad

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did some research and found out that there are approx. 1000 miles of trails available to ride in NH. I'm from RI and have a new Sportsman 800 that is in dire need of getting some miles on her. RI sucks and has no places to ride legally. Luckily my uncle has a small camp somewhere near Lancaster, NH and I'm thinking of going up this summer with my 5 year old son to do some riding. Can anyone give me any info or tips on these trails. I've done some homework but kinda wanted to get first hand knowledge of the trail systems by actual riders. It's about a 4-5 hour drive for us. Thanks. Any info, tips, tricks will be helpful.
Hello fellow RI'lander......... yes.....this state sucks!!!!!!!!! I've been contemplating NH myself. Little Manadnock isn't to far of a drive from RI.

·
Registered
63 Posts

do you know when they open for spring? I have heard as late as June due to mud??? Would like to plan a run in the next 4-6 weeks before it gets too warm out and the flys are bad
answered my own question. its all over the state site. May 23.

·
Registered
901 Posts
What are the trails in Stratford like? Any pictures
They are not overly technical but they are good trails. and some great scenery they have a Facebook page its called North Country ATV. There are some pics on there. You can easily do 100 miles in a day. There is some rocky areas to climb and some flat spots. Not as many as if you rode up from Colebrook but I do enjoy those as well. Take off from Colebrook then hit Pittsburg then onto Errol and back thru the notch is a great ride. It would be awesome to get a group ride together and meet new people. You can stay at the Grand ole lodge for 45 a night and for 7 bucks they feed you breakfast. Not a bad deal for a good ride

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. It looks like we might be going up around June 11th or 12th. Either staying at my uncles camp or in Errol somewhere. Those will be the two areas I'll be focusing on for this trip.

·
Registered
150 Posts
NH RIDING IS AWESOME! I'm from CT and have been riding NH for over 2 years, 3 to 4 rides per year, each 2 or 3 days long. Logged over 1200 miles. Northern network has become very connected this past year, Millsfield, Colebrook, Pittsfield, Dixville Notch, Success and Jericho. North Stratford network is also great, but not connected. Recommend that you stay at Trailside Lodge, great prices and great accomadations! North Stratfords trails are very woodsy, lots of canopy cover and trees. Trails are mostly wide and easy to navigate for novice riders. Only one or two places such as Potato Hill trail are at bit tougher, only because of the rocky climb, but still very easy. Most of the other areas are very open, list of sun. Dixville Notch has some steep terrain that a novice may have issues with. Jericho has a few trails that are very technical, but they are well marked as such, and you have other options. If the trails are dry, ALL of them get very dusty if you aren't the leader, dust masks are a must. We have also ridden at
Durham, near Winnepsauke, small network, some very steep, but a nice place to ride for a few hours. Pisgah is the closest to ride, just off exit 1 of rt 91, then cross over into NH. Small network of trails again, but very wooded and a great area if you like checking out old foundations of an old town. They have marked them with signs and descriptions. Some steep terrain, but usually fixed up well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We will be up that same weekend in June. From Errol, Millsfield is only 4 miles down the road. Get your registration at LL Cote, an awesome place there in Errol! Cabela's, Home Depot, gas station, atv dealer, convenience store and Subway all in one!

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
great info im also from shity ct I have a camp in fort kent maine and the trails in maine are endless but for something closer on a weekend im gonna try nh

·
Registered
128 Posts
I forgot to mention, most of the trails in So. NH are closed until May 23 for mud season, so check before you drive up :)

Cheers,
Lesn8r

·
Registered
901 Posts
We will be up that same weekend in June. From Errol, Millsfield is only 4 miles down the road. Get your registration at LL Cote, an awesome place there in Errol! Cabela's, Home Depot, gas station, atv dealer, convenience store and Subway all in one!
Right on LL Cote is a great place been buying archery gear over there for years I don't think they are connected to the trail system yet but it was supposed to be down soon the trail around there are great

·
Registered
35 Posts
do any of the trails run by camp grounds or is it fine to camp out in the woods somewhere on trail I like to saddle bag my trips also whats a good place to get nh reg or can it be done online whats the price thanks

·
Registered
901 Posts
do any of the trails run by camp grounds or is it fine to camp out in the woods somewhere on trail I like to saddle bag my trips also whats a good place to get nh reg or can it be done online whats the price thanks
check out http://www.bullmoosenh.com/index.htm they have campsites for tents and they are right on the trails in Errol all kinds of riding from there and they have a place to eat on site. Also you can go to any atv dealer to reg your quad last year I think it was 75 bucks for out of state

1 - 20 of 38 Posts