Polaris ATV Forum banner

Riding questions

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  TIP 
#1 ·
Ok, I have been out for about 10 hours now learning to ride, slide, lean, etc on a track at a local place. Today I went to an OhV park and it's serious riding there. I did good except for three steep slopes where I backed into a turn and went back down on two of them and the third I was lucky and slide down about 15 ft into some brush. I'm sore but no damage anywhere.

So my question to you guys, I'm about 250lbs or so and my atv is a 2014 polaris 850 sportsman xp. When your going to be going up moderate hills, do you add weight to the front? I'm not looking for the polaris safe answer. Rather the been there done that kinda thing.

Also, what is a good, safe way to go up some moderately steep hills?

And yes I was dressed the part, long sleeves, helmet, boots, etc. Had a great time. I know others would have had no issues going up these slopes. Maybe I just need more stick time.

#2 ·
When riding uphill or downhill you ALWAYS lean towards the hill. You lean forward when going up and you lean back when going down. And if you're making a U turn on hilly terrain you lean towards the outside.

#3 ·
I think with more time riding, you will find your skills building more and more, maybe start out riding at more flat places? Till you feel like you have mastered everything there you can then go somewhere new with more hills, and you can get good practice there on the hills. Just a thought..

#5 ·
I wouldn't bother with weight on the front.. Just stand and lean as forward as you can when going up steep inclines.. If you put fixed weight on the front, its just gonna work against you that much more when going down hill.. Not to mention the way its going to work against you side to side.. We all have to "sidehill" now and then and it can get dicey quick depending on the terrain.. I'd hate to have a bunch of extra weight on the front that I can't control in those situations..

#7 ·
I added the 2+2 rotopax to the front rack of my '04. It is only about 40 lbs. But it keeps me in gas and I certainly can tell a difference on steep inclines. Of course as everyone else has said, the best is to lean. Some folks tend to hit the throttle hard and lean themselves back in the saddle, which just adds weight to the back. WRONG THING TO DO. If you need to you can put your toes on the floorboard with the sole of your foot against the rear fender and almost stand on the rear fender as the ATV goes near vertical on the incline. That lets you really get your body up over the front rack.
Thanks for riding safe with a helmet and all.

#8 ·
Was the front end coming up? the 850 stays down pretty good on steep climbs from what ive seen, I do have a box on the front of mine , but there isn't much weight in it, my rear box has quite a bit of weight in it. If you adjust your rear shocks stiffer it may help.

#10 ·
Four gallons of gas in the Rotopax mounted on the front box does the trick for me, along with shifting my body around. I have never seen any adverse effects going downhill, or sidehill, with the extra weight on the front. It just doesn't make any difference when going down, so don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise.

A couple of examples so you don't think I'm just blowing smoke.

#13 ·
I don't know what kind of box you have on the front but my 13 550 has a deep waterproof box on the front. I have it filled with tools and other things that could be a necessity on the trail. Box and contents weigh 40 pounds and I have no weight on the back. Weighed my machine full of fuel and front and rear weigh the same within a couple of pounds. Have climbed some good hills and defended and have never had a feeling that it was unstable. You got some good advice about the leaning into the hill. Take it easy until you feel comfortable. Usually when one panics, one does the wrong thing and that usually hurts. Good luck and enjoy. Gotta walk before you can run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.