Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always found the answers i needed with out postng but here it goes. I have a 1998 sportsman 500 4x4 and the right rear shaft broke off both the upper and lower u joints and fell out, nothing left in there to bind up or catch anything. Being older it is rather crusty and i was wondering if i can still ride it in the snow (in 4x4) or should it stay parked until i get it repaired? I don't now how long the snow will stay around. Thanks, and merry christmas

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Honestly you can find a cv on ebay for around $50 so why not just spend half hr swapping it out? It will not hurt anything but will cause excess wear on the other rear shaft and if its in the same condition as the one its short lived.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
434 Posts
ive rode very long distances without a shaft after a wreck and doesnt hurt anything unless you wrecked theouter cv joint and the shaft fell out of the inner id get the inner sealed up pretty good if u wanna salvage it......as for the cheap ebay cv joints if you do any research about them there nothing but junk unless you can find a good deal on rhino or gorilla stick with oem. you can usually find rhino brand full axles cheaper then oem though

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well what fell off was basically the shaft with half of the joint on either end. lit kinda looks like this }---{ if that makes sense.

·
Registered
434 Posts
then both cv joints are done like was stated might put alot more force on your other axle

·
Registered
434 Posts
oh ya the older style, yepp take one down to napa or another auto parts store and get a new one. alot cheaper then replacing cv joints

1 - 8 of 8 Posts