Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2000 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4 and I'm in need of some new tires and rims.

The machine still has the stock Carsile 489s and stock rims which are in rough shape. I know that the rears are 22s and the fronts are 23s, and with the 4 wheel drive system the front tires always have to be an inch bigger than the rears.

In regards to the tires:
I'd like bigger tires if possible but not dramatically bigger. My biggest concern is how close the rear tires are to the fenders/foot wells, I only have a couple inches to spare (hopefully i can take a pic and get it up in the next couple days).
I was thinking like 23s or 24s in the rear and 24s or 25s in the front, I would appreciate some opinions on that.
I had kenda bear claws on my magnum and loved them! Cheap, durable tires and work very well so would really like to go with those for my Scrambler too, unless you guys strongly recommend another tire.

Now, for the rims!
I really like the ITP SS112s but will they fit my Scrambler both the front and rear??? I know on the front the hub sticks pretty far out so that is a concern on whether they will fir or not...:hmmm: Also, will bear claws fit on the SS112s???
My other option im looking at are just the simple ITP T-9 Grand Prix Series aluminum rims. Will bear claws fit these rims?
I'd MUCH rather get the SS112s because they are actually a bit cheaper and look way better in my opinion, but my biggest challenge is finding a tire that fits them.

I'm not very familiar with tire/rim combinations that both work AND fit my machine so all opinions and help is appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Those are very specific questions. You may be better off calling a place that has what you want to do and see if they can answer for you. Or our friends from DISCOUNT TIRE can chime in. Good luck, and sorry no one has helped yet.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Go to rockymountainatv.com. There is a tire and wheel package builder and you can pick the ss112 as an option for your setup and it tells you the sizes for front and rear and what will fit. I just built one for your four wheeler and it worked with that rim.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, gr8twyte, i used Rocky Mountain ATV to find what worked for my machine, but for the SS112s it said only "front" as an option, would they work on both front and rear?

And will bear claws fit the SS112s? Rocky Mountain ATV, as far as i can tell, doesn't tell you which tires fit which rims.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I believe both will fit in the front and the rear but i am not 100% positive. I called them when i ordered from them in the past and they gave me a better deal than online even. The bear claws will fit the rims just fine as long as you get 12 inch tires for the 12 inch rims.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I don't know the specific width of your rims, but I can say the rear and fronts are definitely different widths. You cannot interchange them.

The Bear Claws will fit the correct sized rims.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I still have wheels and tires off this Scrambler I am parting out... Fronts are basically new but, new rubber is needed for the rear. Let me know if you're interested...

Justin

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey tonka 329 (Justin), can u post or send me a pic of your tires and rims? Im really looking for a cool aftermarket rim and putting bear claws with them but I'd want 2 at least see a pic of your rims...

And tekrsq, so the rims arent interchangeable? I havent really had a chance to take a close look yet, but i guess your right, the front tires are much skinnier than the rear tires....

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hey tonka 329 (Justin), can u post or send me a pic of your tires and rims? Im really looking for a cool aftermarket rim and putting bear claws with them but I'd want 2 at least see a pic of your rims...

And tekrsq, so the rims arent interchangeable? I havent really had a chance to take a close look yet, but i guess your right, the front tires are much skinnier than the rear tires....
Yep, the rears are smaller diameter and wider that the fronts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Does ANYONE know of any nice looking, good aftermarket rims that fit my Scrambler!?!?!

Both the ITP SS112s and the ITP Grand Prixs i wanted both seem to only fit either the front OR the rear, not both. Like the ITP SS112s with 3 spokes as well as the ITP Grand Prixs only fit the front but the ITP SS112s with the 5 spokes fit the rear, so they aren't the same. (Pics attached, black rim is the one i want, for all 4 tires, but only fits front, according to rocky mountain. And the silver and black only fits the rear) And it would look pretty dumb to have two different type of rims on the machine...

According to rockymountainatv.com,
front is : 10X5 3.0+2.0
and rear is: 12X7 2.0+5.0

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What do you mean Scrambler wheels? Like the stock rims? Cause my stock rims are in pretty bad shape, and if I'm upgrading I wanna go with a nice looking rim.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I believe the problem you are running into is the rear wheel bolt pattern. It's a 4/4, so you need to find wheels that use that pattern, or get an adapter to go to a 4/156. The only 12" wheels I've found with a 4/4 pattern are the ITP Delta Steel Wheel. Its not flashy, just plain black or silver, but will allow you to use a 12" rear tire as opposed to to a 10".

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Double_J, i appreciate the response as I don't really know anything about tires and rim sizes and what exactly works with my scrambler.

Are theses the type of adapters you are talking about that I should buy for the rear???
2pc 1 5" Aluminum 4 156 to 4 110 ATV Wheel Adapter w 3 8" in Bolt 1 1 2 Inch | eBay

If I got those adapters, could i get the ITP SS112s i want?

Also, would bear claws fit on the ITP SS112s???

Thanks again!

·
Registered
615 Posts
That's the type, but not the correct one. You'll need to find either 4/4 to 4/156 or 4/4 to 4/110 adapters. Then you'll need to find wheels that match the new pattern of the adapter

JJ

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can also change out the rear hubs to change the rear bolt pattern - someone else can chime in but I think the outlaw hubs work? Not 100% sure but you can look into it

im' in the same boat as you - i want the nice rims you see on all the other 4x4s but can't make it work due to the limitations on the rim options - would like some 12in rims and nice tires!!

For what it's worth - i've got swamp fox tires on mine and it will go through anything as long as I dont' have clearance issues

·
Registered
192 Posts
03 only Polaris predator hubs only will swap direct, for a complete set of 4/156. Max tire size is 25" on the scrambler. It IS ok to run a same size tire front and rear without damage. Discount tire direct has some black/silver flashy vision wheels in the correct size to fit the rear scrambler pattern. Golf carts have the 4/4 pattern so finding cart adapters is an option also

1 - 20 of 33 Posts