Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a good all around tire for the sportsman 570 I just picked up. I was set on the Big horns until I got a nice price savings with the Ripsaw....should I go with the Ripsaw, or something else? Not much mudding, a lot of trail, hunting, tad bit of wet stuff.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Love everything about my ripsaws other than the weight. Took about 12-15mph off the top end of my 850. Going to be worse on a 570. But if you're not a speed demon like me then they are by far better than the bighorns in all conditions IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love everything about my ripsaws other than the weight. Took about 12-15mph off the top end of my 850. Going to be worse on a 570. But if you're not a speed demon like me then they are by far better than the bighorns in all conditions IMO.
wow thats a lot of top end loss? what size did you go from and to? What is your top speed now? How are they for vibration/ride, and in different terrains?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have them on my 570. Not a major power loss. Top end is still around 65-70. I love the tires, I bought them solely on their looks and they perform very well. Sometimes too much grip lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have them on my 570. Not a major power loss. Top end is still around 65-70. I love the tires, I bought them solely on their looks and they perform very well. Sometimes too much grip lol
Do they measure a true 26inchs? Im trying to decide on 26 or 27s....

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I run bear claws on both my machines. Awesome tire. Father in law and Brother in law were so impressed with them and what I could crawl thru in 2wd that they have both installed them on their machines.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Do they measure a true 26inchs? Im trying to decide on 26 or 27s....
I'm not sure. My 26 inch tires are pretty big

·
Registered
729 Posts
Luv the Ripsaws , I stayed with stock size they ride great and perform great . They are very durable with deep lugs. They are heavier and take a little from the low end. I put in a QSC clutch kit and regained that low end and much more , great combination !

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
go with bighorn 2.0's and save urself some horsepower. look at it this way if u go with the 2.0's u will save 40lbs of rotational mass over the ripsaws. if u were running a 1000 I would say get what u like. running a 570 and trying to push ~140lbs of tires is a bit much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
go with bighorn 2.0's and save urself some horsepower. look at it this way if u go with the 2.0's u will save 40lbs of rotational mass over the ripsaws. if u were running a 1000 I would say get what u like. running a 570 and trying to push ~140lbs of tires is a bit much.
wow 40lbs heavier then the samae size BH2.0s? Thats a lot.....

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
don't get me wrong rips are stout. but they r a lot of tire to turn. u have to think when ur rims are caked with mud or snow/ice it puts a hurting on the horses.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I put 27's on my 850 and it really lost a lot of power and gas mileage. I would buy them again but I would not get a size bigger. Just my opinion. They don't do well on sandy hills because they really dig in.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The ripsaws are over 40lbs each in a 26", which is what I run on my 850. I still get mid 60s out of it, but not as quick as stock, even clutched. But to me, and for the riding I do the top end loss is fine. I had mine balanced at discount tire. No shake or vibration, and smooth on every surface at any speed.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Holy crap that's a lot of extra weight! I was looking at zillas.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Holy crap that's a lot of extra weight! I was looking at zillas.
Zillas are also a good trail tire built for more encounters with mud then rocks. they are also of a lighter design.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I think you were on the right track with your original thoughts. Go with the original Bighorns and you will be Happy, Happy, Happy.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ This. The Bighorn 2.0's are not that much lighter, but the originals are much heavier duty.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I planned on getting bighorns with my wheel and tire combo from the dealer but the only white one they had left had the same wheels but with ripsaws. Ive been pretty happy with them so far, like others said they are heavy. Ive had my 500 doing 55 mph with them no problem, haven't even tried to go faster because its not fully broken in yet.

·
Registered
815 Posts
your dealer wouldn't switch the tires? thats kinda sh*tty. Other than the speed wobble above 40mph they are a great tire. Very tough. I ride lots of rocks and steep hills and they have almost no wear on them with over 500mi. And i'm a big fan of hammering the throttle lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
your dealer wouldn't switch the tires? thats kinda sh*tty. Other than the speed wobble above 40mph they are a great tire. Very tough. I ride lots of rocks and steep hills and they have almost no wear on them with over 500mi. And i'm a big fan of hammering the throttle lol
I didn't mind at the time because they looked so awesome, I didn't realize till I got home and did some research they weighed a metric shit ton lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts