Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've finally narrowed down the wheel I want. Now I'm trying to decide which tires to go with. If you had to choose between the Maxxis Bighorns and the Sedona Ripsaws which would you get and why. My riding is primarily trails and old logging roads in the mountains. No extreme mudding. Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey huntr.. I've been running the ripsaws for over a year and I love them.. great on hardpack, good in light mud.. great in snow and almost no wear so far.. they are a little heavy, but not an issue for me.. my opinion, they are a really good "all around" tire..

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have never run the rip saw\s but I DO LIKE there looks...

Let me plant a seen in your head...

Have you noticed how there are a number of posts comparing different tires to Bighorns? Wonder why? Notice how there are a COUPLE companies with carbon copy tread patterns?
Let me clear that all up...

BECAUSE BIGHORNS WORK, HAVE WORKED and will CONTINUE TO WORK FOR YEARS to come! ;) ;)

CW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both great tires. Ripsaw puts more tread on the trail - lugs are closer spaced, Bighorn cleans out better (mud and snow). Take a peak at the GBC Spartucus if you're not worried about a few extra pounds for an 8 ply tire vs 6 ply on the Ripsaw and Bighorn.

·
Premium Member
13,360 Posts
honestly i cant see u going wrong with either tire. there are a hand full of others that are worthy. but like cw said all tires are referenced to the big horn. as ridin stated a heavier tire. dispite what u my have researched or not the big horn has no flaws.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i have never run the rip saw\s but i do like there looks...

Let me plant a seen in your head...

Have you noticed how there are a number of posts comparing different tires to bighorns? Wonder why? Notice how there are a couple companies with carbon copy tread patterns?
Let me clear that all up...

Because bighorns work, have worked and will continue to work for years to come! ;) ;)

cw
word!

·
Registered
96 Posts
i would go for the itp blackwaters there like a buzz saw they rip through eny thing just dont ride behind a set they will shoot 8 to 10 ft rooster tails of heavy rock to dirt mud

·
Registered
96 Posts
the blackwaters are a 100.00 more than big horns at rm atv if i was not running blackwaters i would have big horns

·
Registered
96 Posts
they ride great running 4lbs rides the same as the stock 489 but handels 10 times better

·
Registered
175 Posts
My friend punctured his Ripsaws on a the Cheese Trail in WI. Its smooth easy riding and the Ripsaws were punctured. Pretty weak if you ask me. I put my Swamp Lites through wayyyy more abuse.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
My friend punctured his Ripsaws on a the Cheese Trail in WI. Its smooth easy riding and the Ripsaws were punctured. Pretty weak if you ask me. I put my Swamp Lites through wayyyy more abuse.
That can happen to any tire with just the right set of circumstances. Catch a stick just right, or someone's junk they dropped on the trail. I'd be surprised if he couldn't continue riding on it, unless it was a huge sidewall tear. I run my ripsaws at 1/2psi and would believe they would still ride the same with 0 and a hole in them. Took 4 times of filling to 60psi to seat the beads on the rims for 2 of them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
tires

I run GBC Grim Reapers in Maine It is a go anywhere tire, heavy tire, but 1st time out got a slice on the shoulder (thank god for slim & 12volt air pump) so that shows any tire will go done given the right conditions

·
Super Moderator
7,182 Posts
Bighorns if I was buying. As CW said, there is a reason all tires are compared to BH's. They are the standard that all others try to match.

·
Registered
434 Posts
That can happen to any tire with just the right set of circumstances. Catch a stick just right, or someone's junk they dropped on the trail. I'd be surprised if he couldn't continue riding on it, unless it was a huge sidewall tear. I run my ripsaws at 1/2psi and would believe they would still ride the same with 0 and a hole in them. Took 4 times of filling to 60psi to seat the beads on the rims for 2 of them.
I bet those made a scary pop at 60psi. lol
Do you put any kind of lube on? I started doing that to make it a little easier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone find the bighorns to be a little squirlly at higher speeds? I went to big horns and my machine seems to wander at higher speeds then the stock tired. 5lbs pressure on every corner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts