Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. So my first issue started here: Melted voltage regulator plug/wires.

I went through and found the weather pack connectors to repair my main harness. Installed that, and I thought I had swapped a wire or 2 when doing so. I did a continuity test from the stator plug to the harness plug I fixed, all check out, so I know it's not something I did.

Now I have a new issue. I purchased a new Mosfet Voltage Regulator Rectifier from RMStator. It is as described Plug and Play, everything hooks up.

However, when I start the machine, the idle RPM's are fine, but after a few seconds the RPM's drop. Normally around 1170 but drops anywhere between 600-900, but there is no physical noise change in RPM's. If I give it throttle they drop more.

Is it possible that it was wired wrong from the factory? I don't want to run it too long to try and trouble shoot as I don't want to fry anything.

I swapped out the OEM regulator I have as a backup into it's spot and RPM's are perfect, changes with throttle doesn't drop at all.

Anybody have any ideas? Suggestions? Don't really want to send it back if I can just swap a wire in the plug and be good to go.

Thank You.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Chris,
When you say the RPM's drop, you are talking about the tachometer gauge right? You're saying that the tachometer doesn't reflect accurate RPM of the motor?

My guess is this is a problem with the regulator. What exact year/make/model Sportsman do you have? Some years used a regulator that had a tap off of one of the stator wires that was used for the tachometer input. It's a pretty inaccurate way to do it, but Polaris correlated stator output to engine RPM for the tach. If there is an issue with the connection in the regulator, the tachometer gauge may be getting an incorrect voltage, causing a poor reading at the gauge.

Let me know what model so I can look at what regulator you ordered. You can PM me your order # as well.

Thanks!
Evan

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct I’m talking just about the digital reading. It doesn’t seem to effect the actual RPM’s, it runs fine.

I have a 2008 Sportsman 500 HO EFI.

Sending PM with my order #

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts