Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
Never used it, but I have built my own wiring harness and relocated the rec/reg on many different vehicles that seemed to have the unit in a poor location. I have even modified some of my machines to use rec/reg off other makes.

One of my modifications was the installation of a Honda CB900 rec/reg onto a Chinese Linhai scooter - the Chinese unit had inadequate gauge connectors that would get hot and melt the plug on the wire and the socket on the unit. The Honda unit was heavier constructed and had terminals almost twice as heavy as the Chinese unit - I installed new terminals on the wires and inserted them into the plug that matched the socket on the rec/reg - my only concern was the gauge of wire on the Linhai vs what Honda had used (Honda 16 ga wire, Linhai 18 ga wire) - I feared the wiring might get hot causing another problem, but the vehicle had a short run from alternator to rec/reg and carried the load without overheating. The Honda part solved the problem of burned up rectifiers on the Linhai.

By the way; for those that care - Linhai is basically a Chinese Yamaha and Hyosung is a Korean made Suzuki - if you have a Hyosung and can't find parts for it, you can usually find a Suzuki part that is an exact replacement.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Latebird are you familiar with this test. I just removed OEM VR.
Forward Bias/Positive Lead-all 3 we’re 415 on voltmeter. Correct

Reverse Bias/Positive Lead-all 3 Open Line reading. Again correct.

Reverse Bias/Negative Lead-all 3 Open Line reading. Again correct.

*Here’s the problem*
Forward Bias/Negative Lead- I should be getting a reading of about 415 volts, but get nothing. Atv aside from some recent stalling seemed fine and charging. Is it possible that this failed test is a sign that VR is on its way out?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts