Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I are looking forward to a fun day of testing STI`s new Outback against their Roctane. We just got 10 inches of fresh snow last night and we ride at noon. I will let you guys know how it goes. I`ll be running 26 inch Roctanes on my 550 XP and my buddy will run 26 inch Outbacks on his 500 X2.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today was great. Thirty miles of mostly full throttle trail blazing through 10 inches of snow with some drifts up to two feet. Both tires did great but I`d have to say the Roctane had the upper hand. I think having a bigger contact patch due to it being wider really helped. Riding on side hills the Outback held their line better digging in really well where the Roctane would slide. But when it came to throwing the atv around and doing donuts the Roctanes did it much easier. Neither tire let us down and we clubbed the hell out of them all day. It was a good day. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a link to a video of my buddy doing donuts with the Outbacks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We got about the same amount of snow. I was out plowing it most of the morning. The stock AT489's left a little to be desired in the overall traction department. Sounds like the tires you guys had may be on the list for next year although Bighorns are on the top right now. Then again the Roctanes have a similar pattern? Thnx for the test results.

·
Registered
99 Posts
this is to funny because i was going to post a question about a good snow tire and also one that will work well for some trail riding. we just had a foot of the white stuff dumped on us this weekend and notice some traction issue while plowing ...not getting the grip i thought i would have. i am running with the factory rubber on my '12 500 ho sportsman camo and have been thinking about upgrading. thanks for the post!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
The 489s are horrible in the snow.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I plowed today with my 850XP and the 66" Glacier plow. These stock tires are garbage. I plowed last year with my Rincon 650 and 26" SwampLites. Those held and never really spun on me. I'll definitely be switching tires for next season.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have mud lites on my Suzuki lt250 4x4..and i plow with it...they work great in the snow..seem to bite in good....on my 02 500HO...the tires say polaris...the seem sorta agressive but not like the mud lites....I am either going to shoe it with mud lites or the kenda bear claws....i dont mud ride..mostly rock and dirt trails....and plow...most of my riding is woods an fields....and mountain trail....not much mud here....

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well, got to ride on a short road that had some fresh powder 6" to 8" it was pretty fluffy, the Roctanes didn't do bad, thought they dug down pretty deep, but may have just been the powder, was on a off camber turn, didn't want to pull up the hill as well as I hoped, they clean out really well. I can't wait to get further back and try a real ride in the snow, but like I was saying the larger lugs spaces further apart than the Bighorns may not make them as good in the snow. Wish I could go on the New Years day ride, really test them. Anyone else running Roctanes get out yet this winter?

·
Registered
993 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Well, got to ride on a short road that had some fresh powder 6" to 8" it was pretty fluffy, the Roctanes didn't do bad, thought they dug down pretty deep, but may have just been the powder, was on a off camber turn, didn't want to pull up the hill as well as I hoped, they clean out really well. I can't wait to get further back and try a real ride in the snow, but like I was saying the larger lugs spaces further apart than the Bighorns may not make them as good in the snow. Wish I could go on the New Years day ride, really test them. Anyone else running Roctanes get out yet this winter?
Funny wife comment!! I run bighorns on both my outlander 800 with 3500miles on them and my 850xp, and love them in the snow. But as a rule of thumb having sold tires for awhile the more surface area with a fair amount of lug still showing will provide the best traction on snow and ice. The big lugs may clean really well but lack flexing on the cold surface to grab and crawl your way further. I would like to get one of my sets of tires sipped from a tire shop and see how that would change an ATV tire on the ice, I know on cars and trucks it's a very good gain in traction to have it done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts