Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 sportsman 500 HO I got November 20th of 2012 it's got 111 hours on. It iced over the last 2 days in Texas and of course I've been out sliding a little and enjoying a beer while watching idiots slide down the hill in my neighborhood. Well it was fine then out of know where after a little donut it won't go over 10 to 15 miles an hour in high. It gets to about 10 or so and I keep pushing the throttle and the rpms go way up but it doesn't go any faster. Almost like its not shifting. (EX. Putting your car in first and trying to go 65) then I let off the throttle and pushed it again and it "shifted" but it only did that once. I couldn't get it to do it again? Any ideas? Thanks guys! "Cheers"

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
First thing I would check is the secondary clutch. Do you have EBS? If not your buttons are probably worn out and just a coincidence that you were doing what you were I bet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thing I would check is the secondary clutch. Do you have EBS? If not your buttons are probably worn out and just a coincidence that you were doing what you were I bet.
Umm this maybe a dumb question but what does EBS stand for?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you smoked the belt. Take the cover off the clutch/belt housing and take a look at her.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that to just wanted another opinion! I will take it off and check it out. Thought maybe my clutches went bad! Would give me an excuse to upgrade to a EPI clutch kit I guess! but its gonna have to wait a few days till it warms up! Its 26°F right now. Not to cold but for us Texans its like Antarctica!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
EBS is engine braking. It involves a one way bearing in the primary and uses and different secondary than the NON-EBS machines. 500's seem to go back and forth over the years on having it or not. I'd take 26 here now instead of -21.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EBS is engine braking. It involves a one way bearing in the primary and uses and different secondary than the NON-EBS machines. 500's seem to go back and forth over the years on having it or not. I'd take 26 here now instead of -21.
I don't think it does but maybe. Hoping its just the belt. What are the signs of a burnt up belt?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as visuals? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Should say EBS in the graphics on the side of it if you have it. Belt will be shiny on the sides, clutch faces could be glazed over and slipping if belt is bad. But by the sounds of your description it's deeper than a belt. Sounds like secondary is not shifting out.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Once you open the cover and look at the secondary you will be able to tell if you have EBS or not. The EBS secondary will have 2 notches cut in the center that you can see the rollers in. They are about 1" wide. If you don't see the notches, then you have a button secondary and I bet the buttons are worn and the helix is running metal on metal and not shifting out and opening the secondary as your speed increases.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sounds like you smoked the belt. Take the cover off the clutch/belt housing and take a look at her.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that to just wanted another opinion! I will take it off and check it out. Thought maybe my clutches went bad! Would give me an excuse to upgrade to a EPI clutch kit I guess! but its gonna have to wait a few days till it warms up! Its 26°F right now. Not to cold but for us Texans its like Antarctica!

Ridinagain is your man for a clutch kit, QSC is a better kit.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Any chance of moisture (now ice) in the belt housing?

Sean

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sounds like belt or the buttons as said before. I had an 05 400 a lil while back and it did the same as you described. Rpm's would go but wouldn't go over 10mph and it was the buttons

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like belt or the buttons as said before. I had an 05 400 a lil while back and it did the same as you described. Rpm's would go but wouldn't go over 10mph and it was the buttons
How hard are the buttons to replace? Also how expensive? Thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
2013 sportsman 500 HO I got November 20th of 2012 it's got 111 hours on it.

From where I am sitting I would say that someone smoked a belt. I will assume that it was not you.Pull the cover and take a look.Was this bought from a dealer? If so it may have some type of warranty behind it.Sounds like the bike is in for a hard life. When was the oil changed last? Where in Texas are you? Ken

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2013 sportsman 500 HO I got November 20th of 2012 it's got 111 hours on it.

From where I am sitting I would say that someone smoked a belt. I will assume that it was not you.Pull the cover and take a look.Was this bought from a dealer? If so it may have some type of warranty behind it.Sounds like the bike is in for a hard life. When was the oil changed last? Where in Texas are you? Ken
Well I got a little water in the motor not long ago. I shut it off as soon as I noticed the drop off. The motor was not running when splashed up onto the intake. Before running it at all I did 8 full oil changes drained the carb and gas tank and of course air box and exhaust pipe. This was about a month ago and I bought it brand new from the dealer. And I'm about 30 miles south west of Dallas fort worth area in a town called Granbury! The motor runs fine and its got plenty of power its just not shifting. If I left of the gas and push it again it will shift about 95% of the time. Once it shifts power is same as always! Thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Solution? Something has water in it and it froze! This is what it sounds like from my chair.Could it be that moisture inside one of the helix and froze. Pull the clutch off I suspect the rear and I bet you will find some water.I did not mean to sound so harsh in my earlier post.Get it fixed and go riding. I was unaware that the sportsman had EBS, Ken

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Solution? Something has water in it and it froze! This is what it sounds like from my chair.Could it be that moisture inside one of the helix and froze. Pull the clutch off I suspect the rear and I bet you will find some water.I did not mean to sound so harsh in my earlier post.Get it fixed and go riding. I was unaware that the sportsman had EBS, Ken
Wasn't harsh at all lol short and to the point. I'll take it apart this week and see what I find! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts