Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Polaris Magnum 500
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gawd this ATV is a bear. Roll pin in front axle 2000 Magnum is not going to budge. So I'm going to buy a roll pin punch or punch set. Anyone know what size punch would fit? A standard punch is just glancing off and I need the right size pin to set into the hole and drive it out. I suspect with the right pin it will still take hours to get this rusted piece of metal out.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
10,501 Posts
Air hammer

·
Registered
2000 Polaris Magnum 500
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have palm nailer but centering the punch on the roll pin needs that little nub to keep aligned. Definitely going to use the air palm nailer just need to find the right sized punch.

·
Premium Member
13,727 Posts
The roll pin punch is 5/16. I use an air hammer with the roll pin punch, works like a knife through butter in the sun!!

·
Premium Member
13,727 Posts
So quick story, LOL when I tell a story either get your ear band-aids or just RUN!!!! Any who when I removed the roll pin the first time I braced the diff and prop-shaft to input yoke as best I could with wood and composite shims. Hit it a couple times and I wanted to throw up, I'm not a hammer guy. Hammering is for nails I say, OLD TECH!! So I had the bright idea to drill it out. I had something like 40-50 1/4" pilot bits from hole saws that I had saved from a job at the nuke. Contractor bought or received the wrong hole saws as we were drilling stainless. Well we used them until the proper ones came in. In any event, I told you this was going to be long, I took the pilot bits and sharpened them on my new handy dandy drill doctor. They had been laying in a container in the drill bit drawer for years until the roll pin needed to come out. Now I knew it was going to be a PIA as the pin is hardened but I thought with as many bits-oil-wax-paste I had it wouldn't be to bad. Well after what seemed like 5 seconds of revolutions the pin stopped cutting so the first few I kept pushing and lubricating. Eventually I realized that's all the appreciable amount of material those bits were going to yield, so it was on to the next one!! Well that process continued for about an hour at the expense of every damn bit. I had to punch the 3/4" remainder of the roll pin out. Well and that's why I have the roll pin punches for the air hammer, LOL!!

Reactions: zipper77

·
Registered
2000 Polaris Magnum 500
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So quick story, LOL when I tell a story either get your ear band-aids or just RUN!!!! Any who when I removed the roll pin the first time I braced the diff and prop-shaft to input yoke as best I could with wood and composite shims. Hit it a couple times and I wanted to throw up, I'm not a hammer guy. Hammering is for nails I say, OLD TECH!! So I had the bright idea to drill it out. I had something like 40-50 1/4" pilot bits from hole saws that I had saved from a job at the nuke. Contractor bought or received the wrong hole saws as we were drilling stainless. Well we used them until the proper ones came in. In any event, I told you this was going to be long, I took the pilot bits and sharpened them on my new handy dandy drill doctor. They had been laying in a container in the drill bit drawer for years until the roll pin needed to come out. Now I knew it was going to be a PIA as the pin is hardened but I thought with as many bits-oil-wax-paste I had it wouldn't be to bad. Well after what seemed like 5 seconds of revolutions the pin stopped cutting so the first few I kept pushing and lubricating. Eventually I realized that's all the appreciable amount of material those bits were going to yield, so it was on to the next one!! Well that process continued for about an hour at the expense of every damn bit. I had to punch the 3/4" remainder of the roll pin out. Well and that's why I have the roll pin punches for the air hammer, LOL!!
That is better than my experience........... I took a punch about the same diameter and lay down and tried to tap hard enough to push it. The hammer kept clanging off the exhaust, the punch kept glancing off left or right, heat, spray creep and two hours later I finally decided to ask. The roll pin punches are on the way from amazon. Hopefully the 5/16 is hard enough to handle these 21 year old roll pins.

·
Premium Member
13,727 Posts
Stuff that is in potential areas where the torch may cause more harm then good I use the heat gun. Also soak that mother!!! Heat-soak-repeat until that punch arrives!!!!

·
Registered
2000 Polaris Magnum 500
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great Idea. I stopped the torch for that very reason. I do have a heat gun and have the pin turned vertical now so soaking isn't going to be a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts