Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently rolled my XP and am now in the process of fixing it. One of the things I need to get is the front rack (PN: 5436865-070) which is $94.29 at polarispartshouse.com. I am considering getting the front cargo box kit (PN: 2876600) which is $139.39.

My question is, does the cargo box kit totally replace the front rack? If so, I only need to purchase the cargo box kit, right?

Oh, in case you were wondering how I rolled it. I was at Cole Creek two weeks ago and came upon several small (30-40ft) hill climbes. I decided to try them and took the first with no problem however I had to lean over the front quite a bit. I decided to take another that looked a little steeper and about 3/4ths of the way up it had a little bump making it even steeper. Once I hit that my front tires came off the ground (me still leaning over the front as much as possible) and flipped over top of me coming down the hill. The front rack, seat, and rear cargo box all got ripped off in the process and the front end got all bent out of shape. I was a bit banged up but was ok enough to pull the front fender out to stop it from rubbing on the front tire and do a few other minor repairs in order to drive it out of there. Took about an hour to get back to the parking lot riding on mostly gravel trails.

The next day my ribs heart bad and I had aches and pains all over. I didn't go to a doctor but I suspect I bruised or cracked a rib (or two). I'm still hurting but well enough to start fixing my wheeler.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! That's what I needed to know. Thank you!

Another question. My lower right A-Arm is slightly bent. I believe it happened the day before on trail 12. That is one rocky and rough trail! Anyway, it's bent just slightly and still seems to function properly. I was planning on replacing it but wanted to know if anyone had an opinion on if it's fine to wait and ride with it for a while.

When I do replace it (leaning towards replacing it now) I'll need to replace the ball joint as well. How hard is it to get the ball joint in? The repair manual says to use a press however, I don't have one. I was thinking on using a socket and a bench vice with some wood to protect the A-Arm. Any advice?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I love the touring just for that extra few inches of wheelbase for hills.
Sorry to hear about the wreck but it sounds like your ok

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Awesome! That's what I needed to know. Thank you!

Another question. My lower right A-Arm is slightly bent. I believe it happened the day before on trail 12. That is one rocky and rough trail! Anyway, it's bent just slightly and still seems to function properly. I was planning on replacing it but wanted to know if anyone had an opinion on if it's fine to wait and ride with it for a while.

When I do replace it (leaning towards replacing it now) I'll need to replace the ball joint as well. How hard is it to get the ball joint in? The repair manual says to use a press however, I don't have one. I was thinking on using a socket and a bench vice with some wood to protect the A-Arm. Any advice?
If it's not bent to bad I'd ride it til the new one comes in. I wouldn't leave it that way for to long Bc it could cause other parts to wear faster.

Can't help on the ball joint as I've never done any

2013 850ho

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have the front rack off mine just sitting around because I bought the storage box for it. I wonder what it would cost in shipping + fair price to get it down there.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Ball joints are easy with a little ingenuity. I used an assortment of sockets, a piece of ~1 1/2 aluminum pipe and a big ass C-clamp. I did not take my a-arm off the wheeler, I did it in place. I bet a table top vice would work just fine with the a-arm removed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ball joints are easy with a little ingenuity. I used an assortment of sockets, a piece of ~1 1/2 aluminum pipe and a big ass C-clamp. I did not take my a-arm off the wheeler, I did it in place. I bet a table top vice would work just fine with the a-arm removed.
That is what I am thinking. In this case it will be a new a-arm and new ball joint so it will off the quad when I put it in. I won't be trying to get the ball joint out of the existing a-arm since both are getting replaced. Per the shop manual, all the parts of the a-arm (ball joint, bushings, spacers, bolts, and grease fittings) need to be replaced when you change the a-arm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts