Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay here we go...2012 500ho pursuit camo model with the 2500 lb winch with 50 synthetic rope installed....now my issue---once again while plowing yesterday with our snow storm the rope has snapped yet again....this is the 3rd time and now the winch looks like a bait casting reel with a bird's nest. i tried yesterday to undo the mess(while laying in the snow for over an hour with needle nose pliers) with no luck. my question is a 2 parts...1st should i be using the 8ft plow rope instead of the 50 foot stuff. the main use of the winch is strictly for plowing--i do 99.9% trail riding and nothing crazy where i would put myself in the way of getting stuck. 2nd question is why would i be snapping rope that has a 2500lb pulling strength and yes the rope is polaris OEM. any thoughts or inputs would be great and thanks again

·
Registered
22 Posts
wow sry ta here that, I live in michigan 1 hr or so north of detroit and record snow fall this year. plowing alot this year and no problems with my rope yet... I have a warn 3500 xt wench... maybe you have a bad rope or a bad rub point thats would cause this condition or a severe angle on the rope> I like the idea of keeping the 50' rope on in case i get stuck so the 8' plow rope is something i dont want to go to. Take a good look at your set up.
My 2 Cents Good Luck

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
What kind of fairlead are you using? Hawse is preferred for syn rope

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I use the short rope for winter plowing. Where is it breaking? If the hook is getting sucked into the fairlead it can snap the rope. Especially if it's worn a bit. Or is it wearing on the fairlead and breaking back behind the hook a foot or so?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Does not matter what you use, the rope, steel cable or the strap they will all break. The key is to check them often and repair before they break. I have the cable and noticed it was starting fray after two winters. Chopped off one foot and reinstalled the hook using two saddle clamps, took 10 minutes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I chopped 15ft off of the 50ft of dyneema 3/16" I bought and spooled it on my winch. Left factory fairlead on since it had practically no wear or spurs on it from steel cable. I snapped rope once plowing while backing out of a semi stuck drift. Chopped off a foot, retied, and away we went again. It appeared as if the fray started in the little rope guide on a WARN plow system. New piece looks fine so far so maybe just bad luck on first break or some type of excess pressure backing out on the plow.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info so far....i have one of those rubber stoppers and it is breaking just before the stopper....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Go to harbor freight and buy a 2" x 20' tow strap with hooks on both ends for $12 bucks. Cut it in half and put a piece of duct tape on the strap and tape it to the spool and wind it on. Rated at 2800 lbs working and 8000 lbs breaking strength. Snapped my cable after so much plowing this year. IMHO synthetic rope sucks as I have tried both. Especially in the winter when the synthetic gets wet and freezes and won't come off the spool or when it gets muddy and binds up. I will now always use the tow strap for plowing and wire cable for normal winching. Only costs about $20 bucks to change out wire each year and it's a lot more resistant to wear and weather. The only reason mine broke is I wasn't paying attention to its condition (needed replaced) but glad it did as I learned the tow strap fix on this forum.

I did sand the roller fair lead with 120 grit prior to the install of the strap just to ensure there was no burrs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts