Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted the 4 gallon pack to a lock and ride oem box on the back of there atv was wondering if the box and lock and ride system could hold the extra weight thanks

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Most do not to keep that weight off rear in steep climbs.

I put one on my FRONT box and it worked well untill leaks forced me to stop using it...

I now use two 1.5gal cans mounted upright on the rear box sides.

CW

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a Rotopax mount on my front OEM box that can take a 1,2 or 3 Gal. depending on what I need with me (have a bunch).

I really prefer the weight in the front and there is no leak issue with Rotopax - they will replace it no questions asked...

IMAG0605.jpg

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have a Rotopax mount on my front OEM box that can take a 1,2 or 3 Gal. depending on what I need with me (have a bunch).

I really prefer the weight in the front and there is no leak issue with Rotopax - they will replace it no questions asked...

View attachment 13670
If I buy more I will be trying the roto pax... Kolpin replaces the leakers too... replaces them with more leakers. ;)

CW

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's about 24lbs. I got my 4 gal rotopax on the front.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
I have seen a lock n ride box break it's mounts and drop the box on the trail with a 3 gallon can mounted on the back. It broke the mounts out of the box, it didn't break the lock n ride mounts themselves.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to run a strap across the front of the box when we unload at the trailhead. I don't want the box to work back & forth at all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I mounted this gas can mount I bought for $30 and takes a standard 2 gallon gas can. I used existing holes on the quad. gas can.jpg

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry it was $20.00.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I was thinking about mounting a couple on the rear lock n ride box in case I want to add later a Rad Relocate Kit. Any advice why NOT to mount on the rear box VS the front box??

Was thinking a 4 gallon for the front box OR single 3 gallon on both sides of the rear boxing giving 6 gallons vs only 4 gallons up front. What do you guys think? To much weight on the rear box??

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
timcan5, did you drill the holes for the Rotopax hold downs right thru the storage box and just used nuts to secure the base?

·
Registered
809 Posts
timcan5, did you drill the holes for the Rotopax hold downs right thru the storage box and just used nuts to secure the base?
Mark what you need extra gas for? The trails we ride have gas stations lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
We were riding a few weeks ago in Wisconsin, the Rock Dam area, we were full when left, the wife did not want to go to the Rock Dam tavern, they both have gas, there are two in that tinny community.
So, we rode other trails, the gas was getting low on both 850s, I said we can get gas at Rock Dam or motor on to the truck, we parked at the Ceneca(sp) convenient store gas station in Fairchild.
We headed for the truck, BUT I was getting a tad bit nervous on the fuel situation)))) we made it ok and had a gallon and a half, according to the gas pumps.
SO, I will never get nervous again, she all ready has two 2 gallon Rotopaxs on her 850, I will have two 2 gallon Rotopaxs on mine.
Life will be better.

·
8,919 Posts
Mark what you need extra gas for? The trails we ride have gas stations lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
LOL...Markcuda, I like to keep the option of stopping at the gas station/tavern or not as choice rather than a necessity.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Since this old thread has been revived, figured I would share what I am doing in regards to Rotopax --

On my 2014 sportsman 800, I have 2x 2 gallon rotopax mounted to the front cargo box. It is very nice to have the extra fuel for those long days on the trail. I ride hard and fast, tend to get some air, etc - not an easy, slow ride. That is hard on the cargo box top.

Lesson learned
-- the latches definitely need some cheap caribiners to keep them from coming completely undone.
-- the rivets that hold the latches into the top cargo cover wiggled loose. I drilled them out and replaced with stainless steel bolts/nuts.
-- the up/down movement of the extra fuel tanks caused the rubber seal to come out of its place. I cut and fit it and contact cemented it into place.
-- for better weight distribution for a 1-up rider, I would move the tanks ( or at least one ) to the rear.

·
Registered
204 Posts
mounted mine on the rear bumper using the RZR plate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts