Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you decide to get a Rotopax gaspack to mount on your 550, get the 2 basic mounts, all you need. I have the optional front box and it is reinforced pretty good. Postion the gaspack on the front box, use a pencil to mark the mounting positions, drill the four holes with one size smaller than the 5/16 (makes a tighter fit). Use the concave plate that comes with the mounts for the backing plate inside the box and 30 minutes later it's mounted. I can't take the credit for coming up with the idea but I ain't giving it to my buddy either...lol.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the info.... sounds like a simple proceedure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The 2010 xp has a newer front box from the pictures I have seen.There is cable at each corner plus metal reinforced inside the box.The cable should keep you from breaking the hinges with a rotopax on top.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey Darrell you got any pictures you can share with us. I've been tossing around the idea of getting rotopax also but couldn't figure out where I would put them. It would be nice to see a finished product.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey P, first do you have the optional front box for your bike? They are well reinforced so you can mount it right to the box. If you saw the pics from an earlier posting, he used aluminum plates to mount his. You can mount it the same without the plates. The hardware from Rotopax is a 2 part mount. You have the pieces that lock through the openings on the gas pack and the concave plates that come with it goes inside the box as a backing plate. You will need to get longer 5/16" bolts, 1" I if I remember right. Make sure the alignment of the Rotopax is centered on the box, a little forward to give the headlight clearance. I mounted mine that way and rode it hard over rocky trails, they named that trail system right, Rockhouse...and it held up well. I'm not computer
literate so the pics are over my head...lol. I hope this helped.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Haha yeah that's alright. So you essentially did the same thing chuckruardnez did on his 800. He's got a post somewhere about his and it looks good. I do have the front box but does the rotopax block the top headlight when they're mounted?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, it blocks the top headlight about half, enough to glare in your face but as long as you run without the top one, the 2 main lights are plenty. I've been using mine as a tractor the last two days, moving my trailer around the yard with gravel, dirt and stuff. Doesn't even grunt in low range.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Haha I don't know about that I kinda like my 3rd light. I have the rear rack extenion so I might try mounting it to that without blocking my tail lights. Luckily I found metal extensions so I can probably clamp something onto it.

Yeah I use mine as a samll tractor as well and you're right it doesn't even seem like I'm phasing it with whatever I put behind it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts