Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always said "I'm not spending $180 on gas tanks" Well I broke down and purchased 2 RotoPax with mounts and mounted them to the front storage lid. Now I realize just how nice they are, money well spent. They clear the fairing with plenty of room to spare. When turning the clearance gets greater the farther you turn.
Now I'm ready for HMT in July!

rp2.jpg

rp3.jpg

rp1.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts
Looks good!!! I mounted up my Roto-Pax today also for none other then HMT, HAHA!! Great minds...………………………………...

·
10,367 Posts
I've been a Rotopax fan for several years now. I rode a gas-hog 800 for many years lol.
I also usually go deep and stay long so extra fuel is mandatory.
I've got various mounts and several sizes of containers according to where I'm going and how long I'm staying. Even got my Honda riding buddies packing them now. If they gonna hang with the big dog they gotta be prepared lol. :)

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I carry a spare tire on the rear so this will help balance the weight.

·
10,367 Posts
I won't carry any dead weight like that. A plug kit and mini compressor only weighs about 1/2 lbs. I've used it on other's machines but only needed it myself once in the last 6 or 7 years. I don't carry anything that isn't going to be used or needed... especially if it weighed 50 lbs. I'll change wheels in the garage if I need to.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
That’s funny I was in same mode yesterday trying to incorporate new Accessory Anchors for mounting a FuelPax.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That’s funny I was in same mode yesterday trying to incorporate new Accessory Anchors for mounting a FuelPax.
I got a Kolpin tank for free through my work. Not as nice as the rotopax but it does the job...here's how I mounted it on my stuff:

I built the mount out of square steel tubing, and a cut in half piece of chromoly tubing I had. The half section of tubing is hose clamped around the bar that's below the cargo box. It works great and I can still access the cargo box. I'm going to redo it though, because I'm going to add my trailer hitch in so that I can pull my new Bosski built trailer when I get it and still have my fuel pack on my quad....Or I might just add mounts to the trailer instead and get two new rotopax for it.....still undecided...

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My new RotoPax cans came with the new yellow self venting spouts.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bp405, where did you mount your Rotopack's?

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts
bp405, where did you mount your Rotopack's?
Front racks 800 and 1k. My wife goes why didn't you mount one on my ATV, lol. Told her she has a 570 and doesn't need extra fuel, haha.

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts
I guess that’s why I got the FuelPax. 570’s aren’t worthy!😖
I'll tell you what Sprotsman when down in WV the 2 times i went with the 570 I didnt need to fill up at our mid-point drop into town for fuel and food stop. My buddies were like your nuts but if i used 1/3 of a tank that was a lot. The 570-T is great on fuel mileage out of a tank of fuel. I say this cause I think the Touring models have bigger tanks, IDK.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'll tell you what Sprotsman when down in WV the 2 times i went with the 570 I didnt need to fill up at our mid-point drop into town for fuel and food stop. My buddies were like your nuts but if i used 1/3 of a tank that was a lot. The 570-T is great on fuel mileage out of a tank of fuel. I say this cause I think the Touring models have bigger tanks, IDK.
Just having a little fun:D. I’ll be honest, I drool a little over your 850’s and 1000’s. Big believer in getting what you pay for. FuelPax is made by RotoPax. Truth is on my 570 I never really get into fuel trouble. I am going to mount the hardware though. Looked at a few different ways this weekend, didn’t want to get to involved cause I was prepping for Jericho in the morning!

·
10,367 Posts
Its all according to how far you're going and what's available when you get out there Sportsman. I've trained my buddies with their fuel-squeezer Hondas (25 mpg) to carry fuel when they follow me if they don't want to be stranded. MY FUEL costs $25 a gal. out on the trail lol. :eek:

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you want to talk about fuel mileage, my XP 1000 gets surprisingly good economy for what it is. I have a friend back in Colorado that I rode with. She loves and runs the Yamaha Grizzlies, swears by them. Has two 750's. She has a range of 70-90 miles tops on a tank of fuel, and that's pushing the limits. I did the Alpine Loop in Colorado, which is approx 60-65 miles, American Basin, and ran into town three times from the cabin after getting back from the ride before refueling. Total distance on that was well over 120 miles by the end of the day if you include all the offshoot trails and misc detours I took. Believe it or not, I've had nearly 200 miles on the odometer before on one tank of fuel.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts