Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out on my 2013 Sportsman 850 this weekend, and it started overheating. Did it 2 or 3 times just riding a main trail. I barely have 26 hours on it, and was thinking about switching to this Purple Ice. Has anyone used it in their ATV? I'm thinking it would be good with these hot summers in Texas.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
WELCOME to the forum!

I have used it in one of my jeeps. Cannot say truthfully if it did anything.... There are a couple products on the market to help with this issue. I have also tried water wetter.

Personally I would try to find the problem before applyin a brandade.

What are conditions? Are you running in lo range? Do you mud with it? Is the rad 100% clean with no blockages? How's the coolant level and is it mixed appropriate for your temperatures? 100% is NOT as good as a mix with distilled water!
How's your oil? Is there any coolant in it?

CW

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the conditions were hot and a little dusty on the main trail the 1st time. never ran in lo range at all that day. the other times were after a few mud holes, but nothing serious. i did check everything you asked, and the radiator was a little dirty. Cleaned it up, and i'm going to test it this weekend riding around the neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Water wetter lowers the surface tension of the water without foaming like soap.
Water wetter has a reputation for finding any slightly marginal locations where 50:50 antifreeze:distilled-water mix will not. Subaru 1.8L, 2.2L, and 2.5L head gaskets for instance. IMHO If your cooling system isn't absolutely perfect it will create problems where regular aluminum friendly antifreeze will work quite well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have heard good things about "Engine Ice" helping atvs run cooler.

·
Registered
173 Posts
What happens when you are overheating? I ask because I am having overheat issues with my '13 850XP Touring and have had it back to the dealer for the third time now.

When my temp light comes on I noticed that the fan is NOT running. When I shut the bike down and start it back up the fan will kick in several seconds after starting up and then several seconds after that I can take off like normal in high or low gear with no temp light.

The dealer can't figure yet as to why the fan sometimes won't start up when it is supposed to. They have adjusted the ETC switch, changed the fan relay and thermo switch on the engine. Right now they are going through the wiring and checking out the possibility that it might be the ECU.

I was just curious to know if your fan is running when your temp light comes on. Maybe your issue is like mine and a coolant additive might not solve anything. I know I was thinking the same thing before I discovered my fan not running when the temp light would come on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What happens when you are overheating? I ask because I am having overheat issues with my '13 850XP Touring and have had it back to the dealer for the third time now.

When my temp light comes on I noticed that the fan is NOT running. When I shut the bike down and start it back up the fan will kick in several seconds after starting up and then several seconds after that I can take off like normal in high or low gear with no temp light.

The dealer can't figure yet as to why the fan sometimes won't start up when it is supposed to. They have adjusted the ETC switch, changed the fan relay and thermo switch on the engine. Right now they are going through the wiring and checking out the possibility that it might be the ECU.

I was just curious to know if your fan is running when your temp light comes on. Maybe your issue is like mine and a coolant additive might not solve anything. I know I was thinking the same thing before I discovered my fan not running when the temp light would come on.

it seems like ours is running the same. I was driving down a trail when the temp light started flashing, but the fan wasn't on. I stopped, killed it, and started it again, and the fan kicked on. I let it sit for about 5 minutes, and it was fine for about 20-30 min, then it did it again. I haven't had it back out yet to see if it's still doing it or not. I just thought it was because my radiator was dirty. I actually cleaned it off 3-4 times just by pouring water on it, and it finally started running normal.

I'll see if it does it again and let you know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have used it in our dirt bikes. We have had best results when you remove all of the coolant and fill with the purple goo.

To be honest, we have had better results using Motul antifreeze and adding small 12V fans to the bikes that have electrical systems. None of them came with fans from the factory.

Adding or replacing your fan may work better if everything discussed earlier did not help.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

it seems like ours is running the same. I was driving down a trail when the temp light started flashing, but the fan wasn't on. I stopped, killed it, and started it again, and the fan kicked on. I let it sit for about 5 minutes, and it was fine for about 20-30 min, then it did it again. I haven't had it back out yet to see if it's still doing it or not. I just thought it was because my radiator was dirty. I actually cleaned it off 3-4 times just by pouring water on it, and it finally started running normal.

I'll see if it does it again and let you know.
Does the ECU run the fan on the 850?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
I use the redline water wetter. Just did all my fluids and coolant service. 50/50 mix with 16oz. Of redline. I do believe it works not based on imperical data but by the simple fact that my radiator has to get really crapped up for the bike to read hot. I have read guys with race cars say engine temps run cooler with this additive.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My issue ended up being a sticky thermostat just for your info...did you find your problem JH850?

·
Registered
417 Posts
The ecu sends a ground to the fan relay, that starts the fan. The fan has its own power supply. It runs threw the metal overload that's taped too the wiring harness next to the fuse box. The overload tends to get hot and keeps the fan from operating. The overload can act like a resister and not allow the fan too turn enough too cool the system when it starts going bad. Some guys have relocated the overload, others have changed it out for higher amperage ones, others have did away with it all together. The switch has a operating range up too around 150F. The service manual says its a 20amp switch, I've read posts where guys say its 10amps installed on there machine. I've yet to figure out why lower amperage overloads were installed, maybe polaris made some changes. They can be purchased at most auto parts stores and there fairly inexpensive.

12 850EPS

·
Registered
479 Posts
I out Purple Ice on my Sportsmans and RZR and since the RZR is the only one with a temp gauge readout I noticed that the average temperature of my RZR went down about 12 degrees and the fan runs less often. Can't say much about the water wetter products since I have not used them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts