Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High everyone. I haven't been on the forums in a while, to busy with work. I've been meaning to ask this question for some time but just haven't gotten around to it.
I have a 2012 Sportsman 400. The question I have is a what RPM range should the engine run at a around 20 mph. Mine runs right around 4500 rpm to 5000 rpm. My old Yamaha didn't have a tach so I never paid it much attention but 4500 to 5000 rpm seems high to me. Is this rpm normal or could the belt need replacing. Its been this fast since new and has less than 30 hours on it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
idk about the 400 but my 800 runs at 4500 to 5000 at around 55-60 mph. for 20 mph that seems high unless your in low range

·
Registered
619 Posts
The CVT transmissions don't really work the way that you're posing your question. RPMs are really based on your throttle input more than your actual speed. If you pin it from the start, you'll see 5000-6000 rpms on your tach as you speed up from 0 to 20. Once your speed levels off and you back off on the throttle, you will see your rpms gradually fall to a level that will maintain that speed. It will settle at 4000-4500 rpms regardless of whether you are going 8mph, 15mph, or 35mph. Now, at 50-60 mph, that's really the top of your gear band, so you will see the rpms hanging around 5000+ while you're maintaining your top speed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Rpm

Wes, your machine is directly on target. My 2013 Sportsman 400 runs almost the same RPM.Just remember that they gear it down with the smaller engines.It is not an 850.Buy the way,I get great gas mileage with mine, Ken

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys thanks for all the replies. I just want to make sure thing is operating correctly. I'm coming from a Yamaha 400 Kodiac that had a transmission that required shifting. It didn't have a tach so I was never aware of the rpms but it never seemed to be as high. It was a good machine but was also warn out after 20 years of hauling firewood and plowing snow. I really like this Polaris, its bigger, has more power and I really like the independent rear suspension.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts