Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2007 Polaris 500 Sportsman 6x6. It usually runs very well when completely warmed up. When cold, upon acceleration and up to a certain (unknown) RPM, it will die. When it dies and prior to the engine RPM going to zero, if I turn off the handlebar kill switch and turn it back on, the engine will come back to life and continue running. This will continue over and over until the unit is completely warmed up to what could be called a running temperature. I'm wondering what would cause the engine to die and why turning off the kill switch and turning it back on would "reset" the malfunction so the engine will run ???

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
15,819 Posts
Sounds to me as though it is running lean at lower RPM - turning off the kill switch momentarily could cause the unburned mixture to become slightly rich allowing the engine to 'relight'. You are not supposed to be operating it without using the enrichener (choke as it is commonly referred to) until the engine is warmed sufficiently to run without the enrichener. The carb could be re-jetted or cleaned to improve the performance. Also, if you are using ethanol blended fuel, it could be a contributing factor. Alcohol has 1/3 less BTU per pound than gasoline which equates to a leaner burn and predictable lean burn characteristics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really appreciate the suggestion regarding "lean burn characteristics." As it turns out, I'm not sure if the issue was a faulty (read: OLD) spark plug or what I initially thought; the pick-up and/or stator. I installed both and corrected the stalling issue when cold. It now runs like new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts