Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my unit for a little over 2 years with only about 70 hours. While performing a 2 year maintenance I was under the unit and noticed an issue. The rubber boot around the drive shaft on the left front that covers the univeral joint at the wheel hub is almost in two pieces. Serious tearage here! :eek:

I don't have a service manual. I looked on ebay but did not see one for my model. Does any one have some instructions/directions on how to do this replacement? I'd like to attempt myself versus going to a dealer to save some $ but don't want to get in over my head. I have ordered the part and it will be in some time next week.

Also, I don't know how long this has been going is it likely to lead to other issues, bearings?

Thanks for any help or insight!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a manual that I was able to down load at this site. I think it will be helpful in my task. Y'all may have seen this site before, but thought it was work sharing

http://www.tradebit.com/filesharing.php?keywords=polaris+sportsman

A zip file was downloaded and I was reading it in just a few minutes. I had seen some on line to buy for 50 bucks or so but the one I down loaded for my ATV was only $8. I have to print out the pages I want but that is not bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please check out this web site.

http://www.thecvman.com/

I met the gentalman at Quadfest in Somerset, PA a couple years ago. He owns and operates a CV restro business out of Maryland. His website has great tech information and fair prices on referb. He also offers a thicker material cv boot to replace the thin and easliy torn polaris OEM style boots. I highly recommend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the posted site. If it occurs again I'll order from him.

BTW the electronic service manual I ordered left out that there was a slip ring holding the joint on the axle. I beat on it a while before cleaning some of the grease off and realized there was a ring on it. Fortunately no damage. Not a bad job to do even for someone not too mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Besure to get a good manual as I have replaced 4 boots on the wife's '03. The last one I did not catch in time and the small sand like particles knocked the joint out also so I have replaced one joint too. All of these have been on the rear and I have had no problems (yet) on the front. You will also need a good set of snap ring pliers to remove/replace the large snap ring on the end of the drive shaft splines. Just keep it all clean and replace the grease with what comes with the boot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts