Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 sportsman 700 EFI it runs great for a while then dogs down and if I shut it off and start it back up it runs fine again for a while any help would be great thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay
Countrymans, did you ever find out what was causing your ATV to die every 5 minutes or so? I have the exact same problem with my Arctic Cat 400, but all the forums I read that discusses the same problem never seem to come up with a solution. Just a whole lot of trouble shooting. It seems you checked just about all there is to check and I'm wondering if any of it ever did solve the shutting off issue.
So I have been a Tech for years. Now i own my own shop and have contracts with the biggest ranches in town.
So now that you know my history and work load I'll tell you I specialize in polaris and arctic cat.
Your problem specifically would depend on the year. If its newer with an in tank electronic fuel pump. You'll need to replace the pump. Dont listen to the dealer you dont need to replace the whole fuel tank! The filter is very easy to access. Once removed you'll see its held in with clips and is easily replaced with a readily available one from autozone. Just bring your old one in with you. As for the accordion hose just replace it with some standard fuel line and some hose clamps. Good luck.
For the guy with the polaris everyone has been leading you in the right direction you just are afraid to know the truth. Polaris atvs specifically ranch rigs and sport rigs as well as all of their water craft suffer from the same issues. The electrical systems are trash. They have replacements but they are expensive. What you're dealing with is one of three things all involving heat.
Your stator is heating up and swelling or your pick up coil is swelling and stops picking up signal. I have three rigs doing the same thing. Let them cool down and they work for another 10 to 15 minutes. Also the CDI and regulator rectifier all do the same thing.
On Honda's you can c clamp the cdi and check for spark again. Usually with a bad cdi you'll get spark back.
But with polaris it's just a known fact that the electrical system needs to be upgraded. Good luck. Ps. Dont buy chinese crap on ebay to replace electrical parts they never work

·
Registered
25 Posts
HI all:
I have a 2002 Magnum 500 RMK. I just had the carb rebuilt by a Polaris dealer. It runs great. Idles perfect, accelerates great, perfect. That is until it dies. It acts like it runs out of gas OR the spark fails. I put a new fuel filter, fuel pump, and nice fresh gas on it. I seen on the polaris site that the spark plug cap can be bought apart from the coil. Could it possibly be a coil problem? It runs about 10 minutes, dies. The really weird part is that if you let it sit about 5 minutes it starts right back up again and runs great again. That is until it dies again. This has been going on for a long time now and it is really frustrating me. A mechanic said it could be the stator getting hot but as I only have 325 hours on it and bought it new I can't see how the magneto could be bad so soon. The only thing I can think of is that the plug cap might of got jerked on making it lose spark after it gets bumped around awhile. Or that the coil is failing. But again if the coil lis failing why does it run great again after you let it sit?? Any help by a good mechanic would be MOST appreciated. TIA.
I had something similar and I found out on my Kodiak that the choke cable spring had bent out of shape and it would flood the motor. Leave for 10 minutes and fine. Repeat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had something similar and I found out on my Kodiak that the choke cable spring had bent out of shape and it would flood the motor. Leave for 10 minutes and fine. Repeat.
Well now the kodiak is a far different animal. You're also talking about two totally different atvs with different carbs and completely different common issues.
Theres always a probability that it's something simple such as your issue. However that's an easy find and easy fix.
You have a good quad. Unlike the grizzly the kodiak didnt suffer from the stator issues or the reg/rec issue. But like the grizzly the kodiak has the same issues with their one way clutches going out frequently.
You also have a rig that commonly has internal clutch and trans issues. I have seen far too many.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts