Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sportsman 850 Touring
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My quad has about 300km on it and the rear exhaust is developing surface rust, it looks horrible. Any way to stop this or fix it?

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
878 Posts
Go play in some mud. The mud will hide the rust. In all seriousness it is something that I dislike as well. Was thinking of pulling it off and painting it with a ceramic heat paint. Maybe someone has done something similar. Would like to hear about any success stories.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go play in some mud. The mud will hide the rust. In all seriousness it is something that I dislike as well. Was thinking of pulling it off and painting it with a ceramic heat paint. Maybe someone has done something similar. Would like to hear about any success stories.
Haha, I just washed up my quad cause it was caked in mud and that’s when I noticed, I think a can of VHT will work however it’s a pain to take the exhaust off and put it back on. Maybe someone else has something else to say?

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
878 Posts
Haha, I just washed up my quad cause it was caked in mud and that’s when I noticed, I think a can of VHT will work however it’s a pain to take the exhaust off and put it back on. Maybe someone else has something else to say?
Haven’t had much luck with VHT. I find it’s hit or miss. Sometimes after the bake it holds, sometimes it cracks. Not sure what the issue is.

·
Registered
2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
559 Posts
My 20 850 did the same thing very quickly. I wish I had painted it when it was new

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
878 Posts
If the paint cracks it was applied to heavy . Do light coats but more of them with plenty of flash time .
Ive tried multiple light coats with bakes in between and it seems that when I get the colour just right on the last bake, boom a crack. Maybe I want too much colour.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel you, thinking of just throwing the old exhaust out and picking up a RJWC dual tip exhaust they retail around $1000 CAD

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
878 Posts
Don’t forget the tuner, need another $500 for that.

Reactions: Tnsniper

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
304 Posts
Ive tried multiple light coats with bakes in between and it seems that when I get the colour just right on the last bake, boom a crack. Maybe I want too much colour.
Sometimes to much heat will also cause this . It’s the same principle as me trying to rush a paint job at work and baking to much to soon will cause solvent pop. Because the top coat needs to stay wet and dry from the inside out. If you dry the top coat to fast it causes this. Each layer Needs plenty of time to dry. Maybe even a light sanding between coats . I used to use Eastwood 2k high temp pricey but USED to be good stuff. But who knows anymore. All the regulations and junk pretty much any good paint or good paint strip isn’t what it used to be .

·
Registered
2021 sportsman 570 base, 2020 kodiak 450 se
62 Posts
Perfectly normal its surface rust happens to all exhausts if you seriously want to “fix” it, its temporary but get yourself a wire brush an grill paint. Its 3-4$ per can one can will allow for hundreds of re applies.

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
304 Posts
I feel you, thinking of just throwing the old exhaust out and picking up a RJWC dual tip exhaust they retail around $1000 CAD
Denali performance will let you get a dual rjwc for 850$ if you talk to the rite person. But from what Iv seen the exhaust on the left and the crossover pipe gets hot as hell!

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
304 Posts
Perfectly normal its surface rust happens to all exhausts if you seriously want to “fix” it, its temporary but get yourself a wire brush an grill paint. Its 3-4$ per can one can will allow for hundreds of re applies. View attachment 145262
Yes pretty much anything is going to be temporary as these 850-1000 get really really hot. Mite as well just use something like this and touch it up as needed after a wash .

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
3,396 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2004 sportsman and I painted my exhaust with that same grill paint from earlier on the thread and it’s already chipping a little but not nearly as bad as it was. Truth is an exhaust is gonna get beat up from rocks and dust and especially mud that sits on it for a few heat cycles. If you really want it to look good with the stock muffler you’re gonna have to reapply pretty often otherwise I would leave it since you’re at little risk of the muffler rotting through cause it’s so new.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
3,396 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts