Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
570 sportsman 2015 . general country use with only sporadic washes . I start to find rust in most of handlebar screws (mirrors, controls, brake cover...) . is it normal ?

·
Registered
171 Posts
The only rust I have noticed on my 2013 is on the muffler. It never gets washed in the winter, but I do wash it frequently in the summer due to all the mud. It is garage kept and I'm sure that helps.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
570 sportsman 2015 . general country use with only sporadic washes . I start to find rust in most of handlebar screws (mirrors, controls, brake cover...) . is it normal ?
Considering you live near the "salt water" of the Atlantic Ocean and near the Tagus River area of Portugal.... which would have salt in the air (humidity). This alone has been known to attribute to and/or accelerate (salt fog testing) the corrosion process. :dunno:

Do you store it outdoors?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
^ that. Salty environment rapidly increases rust formation.

But if the rust is only on the screw heads, I wouldn't worry to much. If you're really close to salt you can look into replacing the screws with stainless screws to eliminate the rust issue entirely.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Any exposed metals will corrode on the surface, even when brand new. One trick to slow that process is using a corrosion inhibitor system that puts a small trickle charge into the vehicle's frame, like the ones you can get installed at car dealers on new vehicles. It works by way of having a current in the metal that in turn does not allow oxygen and iron to react to each other. Think of it like reverse-electrolysis.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ Snake oil product

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Those boxes are snake oil. The only spoit that does not rust is where the box is mounted.

Krown is far superior and costs less.
Correct. The only time these types of systems work is when the metal is immersed in an electrolyte such as water ie. a boat. An example is the MerCathode system that prevents wetted metallic parts from corroding ie. sterndrives. Air is not an electrolyte.

The last section dealing with automotive systems is interesting in the following link. "Several companies market electronic corrosion control devices for automobiles and trucks. The systems are not effective and in 1996, the FTC in the USA fined David McCready and ordered him to pay $200,000 in consumer redress and stop marketing and selling his “Rust Evader" electronic corrosion control for cars."

Here's an article about cathodic protection systems. (ya it's a Wikipedia link).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathodic_protection

Mark

·
Registered
630 Posts
And the merc mercathode system does not work very well either.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Those boxes are snake oil. The only spoit that does not rust is where the box is mounted.

Krown is far superior and costs less.
Correct. The only time these types of systems work is when the metal is immersed in an electrolyte such as water ie. a boat. An example is the MerCathode system that prevents wetted metallic parts from corroding ie. sterndrives. Air is not an electrolyte.

The last section dealing with automotive systems is interesting in the following link. "Several companies market electronic corrosion control devices for automobiles and trucks. The systems are not effective and in 1996, the FTC in the USA fined David McCready and ordered him to pay $200,000 in consumer redress and stop marketing and selling his “Rust Evader" electronic corrosion control for cars."

Here's an article about cathodic protection systems. (ya it's a Wikipedia link).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathodic_protection

Mark
Interesting.. had the system on an suv i bought years ago.. never did have a stitch of rust on it, either. though, oddly enough, the rims collected iron oxide like there was no tomorrow, even the rims with drums, so wasnt even the brake dust. was like s static film of it that came off the second it got wet tires heh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts