Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had water in my 2001 Sportsman 500 HO recoil starter. Needless to say the flywheel and bendix gears are all rusty and covered in crud. Is there a quick and easy way to clean the rust and crud off like spraying them with carb cleaner or WD 40 without ruining anything behind them? The bike was starting ok with the electric starter prior to the fix on the recoil. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I don't think either of those would "clean the crud off." Sounds like a job for some elbow grease and a wire brush. I like fluid film or lithium grease for lubrication after being cleaned.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
I agree with bgirard420.

If I was not going to take the time to take things apart and deep clean I expect I would hit it something like PB Blaster, Seafoam Deep Creep, etc the best I could with the rope starter off.

Sounds like someone to it for a swim perhaps?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rusty

Thanks for the replys. Just left Harbor Freight with some small wire brushes. Heard from a mechanic that I could clean the bendix (off the machine) with some PB blaster and compressed air. Also read that lube should be held to a minimum. Any suggestions of lubing the gears?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rusty

I don't believe it has been submerged underwater as everything else looks good. I believe what happened is the recoil went bad at some point and the PO had the cover off and attempted to reseal it with the blue silicone sealer. Additionally, the recoil rope was loose and the handle was not sealing correctly allowing water and debris to enter the casing. The friction spring and the ratchet were missing inside and the reel starter was cracked. I believe the PO just didn't want to fork out the dollars for the repairs and just put the cover back on. Live and learn. Next time I will check the pull rope function prior to purchasing.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Be careful with the wire brushes if you get into the stator area so you don't cut up any wires or insulation. Nylon brushes are much better. Old toothbrush works great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rusty

I didn't take the flywheel off but used a small screw driver and some picks to get behind it to scrape the inside. I took the bendix out and used a tooth brush and soaked it good with PB blaster. That made huge difference in freeing it up. I blew it out with the compresser and reinstalled. Waiting on the parts for the recoil. Will let you know if everthing works when reassembled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts