Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using a cdi from an outlaw 50 or 90 on a rzr 170 or know of an aftermarket cdi that works for the 170. The plug is the same on the cdi but the rzr 170 has an individual wire plug I believe is for the park brake to keep it from reving up when the park is set.
Polaris price is 215.00 for the 170 but I can find them all over for around 20 bucks for any gy6 engine. Ac or dc and for the price difference it’ll be worth it to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
The CDI is unique to the RZR170 and is only used on:
I have found no aftermarket units that are compatible.
The single wire is connected to the parking brake - either the starter motor will not run or there is no spark until the parking brake is set.

The CDI is DC and needs 12v to generate spark - the GY6 CDI units are AC

Dealer cost on that CDI is $190

What makes you think you need a new CDI? Did the magic smoke get out?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get a spark at start up then quits and dies. Maybe it is the coil but I see those relatively cheap and no way to test the cdi on any info I have found. With your experience do you have an idea where I should be looking. Sometimes it will run for a little while. Maybe 30 minutes and shut off but lately it just starts and revs high with the throttle and shuts off. I cleaned the carb and I’m getting fuel pressure to the carb but loosing spark and I have verified it is loosing spark after a few seconds.
I did also order a cdi for a Polaris 50/90 earlier today since it was cheap. Do you know if those smaller bikes are ac or dc. If it won’t work I’m not out to much but with no way to test mine I took a shot at it

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
It's usually a connection or the pulse coil - the CDI is DC - should have 12v on the brown wire of the 2 wire plug of the CDI unit and ground on the blk wire at the 4 wire plug.

The goofy way it is wired is the key switch breaks both the power wire and the ground wire connections - if the key switch fails on either connection, the engine will die.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a ground and power to the cdi. I have a coil from a junk taotao I put on it to try and it started and ran good. No hiccups at all. Glad I asked cause my instincts was pointing to the cdi. I’ll get a good coil for it now. Thanks for your help and experience latebird. You nailed it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts