Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I.was riding my new to me 850 and went to turnaround on a trail I didn't want to go down. It was a tight turnaround and for some reason when I would pull forward and turn sharp before I would go backwards, it would die. Not just die, but the key would shut off on its own. I was real low on gas and thought it was maybe empty, but once It finally got turned around it took me 2 miles home. Is there some sort of strange safety switch that shuts the key off?? I wasn't on a big hill or anything, just turning around to miss a massive water hole. It would go in reverse just fine but when I would put it into low to rock forward it would kill as soon as I would give it throttle and off goes the key.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Do you have a key tag/ key chain on your key?

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, are you thinking it is getting caught on something that's shutting it off? Its a Long lanyard and right after I submitted this post I started thinking that.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
You got it! Do yourself a favour and take it off. 99.9999% sure that's what it is.

Mark

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Yes, no key chain is recommended!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check it out for sure. Might have a hard time talking my wife into letting me take it off because the quad is really hers ( she thinks) its a cancer free anniversary gift for her and the lanyard is the pink ribbon breast cancer awareness. I'll check to see where it might have gotten caught on.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Congratulations! That's a big milestone. May I suggest a pink ribbon decal?

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pink ribbon decal YES! We were at Vanilla's on Saturday and all they had were magnets. We will find them though. This is actually 6 years cancer free for her. For her 5 year my son and I bought her a 2002 Honda trx 250 and she loved it, so I suggested a bigger better one for 6years and she said heck yea, so we sold the Honda and got the Polaris. Night and day!! I'm afraid to say anything for year 7:flowers1:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Awesome!

Mark

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I've certainly been hit with keychain bug a few times over the years on my 700.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Sounds like it may be the lanyard, but I really haven't heard of that being a problem on the XP like it is on the older Sportsman models. On those the key chain would hit the gas cap and shut it off. Really nothing for it to hit on the XP's. Definitely would start with removing it, and go from there. Congrats to your wife on six years. My wife is eight years now.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Sounds like it may be the lanyard, but I really haven't heard of that being a problem on the XP like it is on the older Sportsman models. On those the key chain would hit the gas cap and shut it off. Really nothing for it to hit on the XP's. Definitely would start with removing it, and go from there. Congrats to your wife on six years. My wife is eight years now.
I did notice that key orientation is different on my 550 than it is on my 700. Yeah.. it might be something else here.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Get on Ebay and look for the ribbon stickers. Or just a google search. Thousands of places to get them in many different sizes. Congratulations on 6 years! Many are not as lucky.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Btw...thanks a million on her 6 years!! She did better during her treatments than me. I could not survive without her. I'm 51 and been with her since I was 17!!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Btw...thanks a million on her 6 years!! She did better during her treatments than me. I could not survive without her. I'm 51 and been with her since I was 17!!

That made me cry a little. We just lost my 53 year old Step-mom to pancreatic cancer 7 weeks ago so it's pretty great to see a couple like you that has been together that long have a second chance.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Congrats to you and yours, go with the decal as suggested by mvn.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts