Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked in the Xplorer forum but nobody seems to know. I have a 98 Xplorer 400 4x4 and wondering if the frame is the same as the Sportsman of the same era? They sure look the same. Looking for a center plow mount plate and Warn lists one for Sportsman going back to 96 but nothing for Xplorer.

·
8,744 Posts
What is your VIN?
A 98 Xplorer 400 is a two stroke with chain drive and a swingarm rear suspension. The frame is not even similar to a Sportsman.
A 97 Xplorer 500 however, is virtually identical to a Sportsman 500. They share the same four stroke engine, frame, suspension and all. I think the only real difference between the two is the plastics.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
If this helps. I used to have a expedition and I used the same plow mount for it to my '03 sportsman 500. The plow mount mounted under the foot pegs. I do remember that underneath-wise, everything from the pegs forward everything looked the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
polman500, I'm well aware of what the difference is in engine and suspension, but why would the frame - or at least the part underneath where you would install a plow plate - be different? They're certainly the same physical size. I'd be surprised if they didn't utilize as much in common as they could for cost saving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this helps. I used to have a expedition and I used the same plow mount for it to my '03 sportsman 500. The plow mount mounted under the foot pegs. I do remember that underneath-wise, everything from the pegs forward everything looked the same.
That's what I was thinking

·
8,744 Posts
polman500, I'm well aware of what the difference is in engine and suspension, but why would the frame - or at least the part underneath where you would install a plow plate - be different? They're certainly the same physical size. I'd be surprised if they didn't utilize as much in common as they could for cost saving.
Oh well, now they may be similar enough for the plow mount to work. Only a test fit would tell you that. I thought you were asking if the frames were the same... They are not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh well, now they may be similar enough for the plow mount to work. Only a test fit would tell you that. I thought you were asking if the frames were the same... They are not.
Hey, no prob. Yeah, I guess I assumed in my first post I was only needing to know about the underneath where the mount would go. I tried looking on Polaris parts to see if the skid plates were the same, but I don't even see a skid plate for the Sportsman.

I suspect that even if the plate wasn't an exact fit, it would be close enough to make it work if it just needed some different holes drilled. I know from the Warn site that newer Sportsman takes the same plate but needs some different holes drilled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts