Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2000 Trail Boss which looks to me like it has spent alot of its life stored outside. It has some pretty serious spiderwebbing in the plastic. I have a weeks vacation so I decided to sand the plastics down and coat it with orange glo. I will update photos as I progress. Sorry I am horrible about taking pics before I start so I don't have any before pictures of the back plastic but it was about as bad as the front.

Pics of back plastic after sanding in 3 stages and adding 6 coats of orange glo. I still need to buff it and add a coat of wax.

These are pics of the front fenders which I have not touched yet. I will update when I get around to these but they show you how bad the spiderwebbing is.

Here is a pic of the footpegs. The first one is a before. I decided instead of just painting it black again I would paint it with the bedliner spray paint. I feel like it may help a bit with the feet sliding all over the footpan during riding. We will see.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Looking good..... it would be great to see the finished product!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Orange glo? Furniture polish?

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
It is a hardwood floor 4 in 1 revitalizer.It is a liquid that needs painted on. I use a foam brush. I read about it on another forum when I bought my 400 EX. It had alot of scratches from trail riding. It turned out really nice. A year later and it has a few spots that it needs touched up from trail riding.

These are a couple pieces before I sanded on them

This is the after sanding and 5 coats of orange glo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o.k. I finally got some time to update. I got the front fender, side panel,gas tank cover, and headlight cover done. For the most part I am finished. I still need to put my reflectors and polaris sticker back on the headlight cover but thought I would post a few pics since it has been a while.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I have found to be the best way to do this is to use a power vibrating sander with120 grit to start and sand until all scratches are gone. I would recommend spending extra time on this step as it is easier to use 120 to get deep scratches out than to try with 300 or higher. I then power sand with 300 and went to 1500 since that is all I had at the time. In a perfect world I think 500 or 800 would be an added step. Then after it was fairly smooth comes the hard part. I used a few steps of steel wool 000 and finishing with the 0000extra fine. Then clean the plastic really well with 409. Let it dry and then 3 to 5 coats of orange glo allowing each coat to dry.
After I am finished with the orange glo I used the DA polisher with rubbing compound followed by a coat of polish and then finally a coat of wax.
It is alot of work but if you don't have the money or can't find replacement plastic and yours is faded, dull or spidercracked and you don't mind putting in the time it does work.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
What I have found to be the best way to do this is to use a power vibrating sander with120 grit to start and sand until all scratches are gone. I would recommend spending extra time on this step as it is easier to use 120 to get deep scratches out than to try with 300 or higher. I then power sand with 300 and went to 1500 since that is all I had at the time. In a perfect world I think 500 or 800 would be an added step. Then after it was fairly smooth comes the hard part. I used a few steps of steel wool 000 and finishing with the 0000extra fine. Then clean the plastic really well with 409. Let it dry and then 3 to 5 coats of orange glo allowing each coat to dry.
After I am finished with the orange glo I used the DA polisher with rubbing compound followed by a coat of polish and then finally a coat of wax.
It is alot of work but if you don't have the money or can't find replacement plastic and yours is faded, dull or spidercracked and you don't mind putting in the time it does work.
Would this work if you wanted to change colours, the prep I mean? And prime it first??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure it would help the plastic paint stick if the plastic was roughed up a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sdm24-- That is one of the coolest things I ever heard. I did not know you could sand out scratches on plastic. Your toy looks great. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts