Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Sunday I went out riding and tried to cross mud hole and failed. The quad cut off and I had to be pulled out but before that my buddy jumped on it and tried to crank it while it was still in the water so some got in thru the exhaust. I couldn't get it to fire again so the next day I drained the oil in the pan and crankcase and it was fine...not milky at all. I did get it to run and it spit muddy water out of the exhaust for a while but then quit. I did take the plug out first to puch any water out but none come out. The plug was nuddy as well. It seems to run fine now...idles ok and goes thru the gears fine and all. Also the belt housing was FULL of water...it POURED out when I removed the plug. My questions are...is the quad ok? I'm just not sure seeing in how it seemed there was muddy water possibly in the cylinder...and should I take my belt cover off and clean that out somehow? I'm just curious because I rode a little bit not even 20 mins ago and it just cut off twice for no reason. I just want some opinions on if it's ok or what should I do? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well that's not good news. The fact that it had mud on the spark plug means the cylinder was full of that crap. So think like this you have now ground grit up and down the cylinder wall. Anyway you look at it you have done considerable damage. I could say what you should coulda done but its a tad late. I wish you the best.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Change the oil a couple times and check it allot for the first 50 miles. You may be ok

12 850EPS

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been keeping an eye on the oil. Should I take it apart or just leave it and keep an eye on it? I can do the work...I rebuilt a Predator last summer. I just don't want to take it apart if there is a chance it will be ok.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have been keeping an eye on the oil. Should I take it apart or just leave it and keep an eye on it? I can do the work...I rebuilt a Predator last summer. I just don't want to take it apart if there is a chance it will be ok.
Shiny flakes in the oil? Gritty crud?
No?
If it runs OK now... You shaved some hours off the lifespan but got away with it so far. It's an ATV not a submarine. Sacrifice a weed eater to the gods and sin no more.:D

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may drain all the oil again today when I get home to see if there is anything in it. The first time I drained it after all that it was just plain black...no water and was not milky. I'm just worried about the cylinder wall at this point.

·
Registered
71 Posts
you say the plug was muddy.maybe the mud on the plug was simply from pulling the plug and nothing else.i know I buried mine a couple of years ago and I swear to god it was months beore I found all the mud and grass.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea the plug was muddy and once it fired up again it spit muddy water out of the exhaust for a good 20 mins or so and then quit...I haven't seen anymore muddy water come out since...I may also pull the plug and check it again and replace it...I have a new one at home.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I sunk my previos atv twice and water got in the cylinder.I changed the oil many times and took the top end off both times right after I sunk it,and glad I did.The first time thare was only crud in the cylinder,but the second time the rings were stuck with sand and the cylinder was scored alittle and needed a little honeing.I my opinion I would tear it down and check it for piece of mind,after all the only thing thats suspose to be in there is air and fuel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
To make it easier I wouldd remove all the plastic from the rear fenders forward. Then I would look into getting a repair manual, it will make putting it back together easier and you will know the correct setting and torque specs.

·
Registered
311 Posts
To make it easier I wouldd remove all the plastic from the rear fenders forward. Then I would look into getting a repair manual, it will make putting it back together easier and you will know the correct setting and torque specs.
X2, and pull the top cowling over the tank and remove the tank.

I would add however. if you start tearing down the top end and find out you need to split the case, in the long run you'd be better off pulling the whole motor out. The top end is easier to work on out the the frame especially if you end up replacing pistons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts