Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just picked up this "like brand new" 2012 Sportsman 850 Touring with only 159 miles on it. The previous owner lived up in the mountains of Kingman AZ & would only use it to dive down his dirt road to get the mail several times a week.

Picture overlooking the mountains in Kingman AZ.

We are going to accessorize this unit for the harsh riding condition of the Bradshaw and Mingus Mountains here in Prescott AZ. Let the modifications & testing begin!

Thor

Picture taken just minutes from our home in Prescott AZ.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Have fun with the new project.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Can't wait to see what you're going to do!

Mark

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Congrats. I really love my new 2015 1000 XP Touring. I am trying to decide on a bag for the back. I will watch your thread to see what you are doing to it.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are in the process of finding a new rear box that will have a good amount of storage however will not stick out as much past the rack like our out units. It should arrive here in the next three weeks. HEY! Looking for an ATV Cargo Box. ATV Rear Seat?

On another note I snuck out of work a hour early yesterday. I took the sportsman for a 30 + mile run up in the mountains to cool off some steam. Here are some pics from that ride.

Prescott AZ is a ATV paradise! Love not having to trailer anymore for 5 hours to ride. Not to mention the trails here are amazing. I will be keeping this unit at 50 inches wide. There are so many awesome trails that can not be touched by wider ATV's and UTV's due to the extra width.

Thor

·
Registered
901 Posts
Great pics look forward to seeing what you do so I can forward at spending more money on my Touring :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Subscribed

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took my son Espen for his first ride as a big boy here yesterday here in the Prescott area. Espen is a experienced rider for his age. He has over 1000 atv trail miles under his belt. Mostly from the rolling trails of northern WI and one trip here in Williams AZ which is next to the Grand Canyon. Our home here in Prescott is about 1 mile from where the closest trails start. Since Espen is not yet of age to drive on the streets here I found this tow system and then modified a front bumper to make it work on his TRX250EX. Just hook up and flat tow with him on the back of my 850. This system works great and comes off in seconds. We drove over the mountain to Skull Valley AZ for lunch. Espen had a awesome time.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We installed the Viper Elite winch on our touring yesterday. We made a short video since we have received many requests on how the install process works.

We also have on the way 6+1 offset STI HD3 wheels with our favorite tire which is the Grim Reaper. We went with a 27 inch tall tire for a little more ground clearance on the rocky trails.

We also have a Ricochet Ultimate Armor kit on order which will be anodized blue in the area's that can be seen to match the unit. We have 2 new rear boxes on the way to see which will fit best on the Touring. We also have our Viking front and rear bumpers on they way as well as our HID light kit. Will keep posting pictures of the work in progress.

Thor

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Installed our favorite brand tire on the 850 Touring today! Grim Reapers with 6+1 offset STI wheels. I went with a 27 inch for some extra ground clearance. The Grim Reaper tires are still to this day the best tire we have tested! When we were finished with the install I took a hour off during lunch for some product testing in the mountains!

Thor

STI HD3 Wheel Package
GRIM REAPER RADIAL TIRE KIT (4 tires)

Fall is in the air. The trees are starting to turn.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
New rear touring box installed today and in testing. The is a really nice unit. Plenty of storage and it's nice that the passenger does not have to get off to access the inside of box.

This box will be available in both with or without heated grips. The on in the picture as the heated grip option. We also installed the Wes booster pegs for Sloan since he is 5 and the OEM boosters are not tall enough. Here are some pictures of the box and booster pegs.

Thor

http://www.theatvsuperstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=358480

HEY! Looking for an ATV Cargo Box. ATV Rear Seat?

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Rear cargo box is pretty slick

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The accessory modifications are looking good Thor!!! :fing02:

I like many of the features of the cargo box.... but the tail lights aren't my taste!

On a side note, I hope all is going well for you and your family down south.... has the move continued to help your son's health?

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Hey, we've seen those before! They look like the canned hams headlights. That's why we don't Like them. LOL

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Hey, we've seen those before! They look like the canned hams headlights. That's why we don't Like them. LOL
Ha, you're right.... but as head lights I don't mind them as much. But as tail lights I don't care for the overall styling. But it is what it is.... it wouldn't stop me from buying one if I liked all the other features better!

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The accessory modifications are looking good Thor!!! :fing02:

I like many of the features of the cargo box.... but the tail lights aren't my taste!

On a side note, I hope all is going well for you and your family down south.... has the move continued to help your son's health?
Thank you! All is well here in Prescott AZ. Sloan is all healed up. Amazing how weather can affect ones health! I am very happy with the box so far. I took the quad for a mountain ride during lunch break today. (so nice not having to trailer 5 hours like I did in IL to get to decent trail). I love that I can bring what is needed just in case of a 911 and having room to spare!

I too was not a fan of the lights in the rear. But they do match the factory rear tail lights when they are on. Now they don't bother me at all. I think the box looks great on the touring. I like how this one does not stick out past the rear rack like our other ones.

http://www.theatvsuperstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=358480

1 - 20 of 22 Posts