Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got scammed for $80 on the forum from someone selling a used speedometer. Username, Frow5656 said a friend had Osbey that had one. Beware of the emails from [email protected], [email protected]
And the phone number 707-861-0828
as further research has found them to be scamming many forums about wanted parts!

·
Registered
355 Posts
That sucks.....

I searched his user name on the forum with no results. How did you communicate with him? I would be very leery to begin with if I was buying from someone on a forum who didn't have a post count. Many scammers will cruise forums because they are not set up as an auction site so they don't have the built safety features. I don't personally know anybody on this forum but there are plenty of people I would buy from based on their activity. Someone who has never posted on here would not get anything from me, money or merchandise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frow5656 responded to a want to buy ad I had on for a speedometer and referred me to his friend, I just looked at his profile and it said he joined only one month ago lesson learned! I also learned not to send money with PayPal as a friend!

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
I had a member Friend PayPal me more than I asked for and I sent him more than he asked for - yeah anybody is susceptible to getting scammed, just have to stay on the toes - I buy a lot on Ebay and out of over 1000 purchases got stuck once - I have bought on Craigslist and Facebook which is exponentially riskier, but have 100% positive results so far - maybe I'm just good at sniffing out the BS.

You might try reporting the user to gmail - they don't like being an accomplice to a crime. You can also report the crime to the police in the town the email traces to.

You can also subscribe to a background tracer and do a background check based on an email address or phone number. Not as good as what is available to law enforcement, but pretty good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts