Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm new here, and found this forum. I purchased a 2014 Sportsman 850 XP EPS, two weeks ago. I have only driven it 30 miles, and like the way it rides. I have owned 2 Suzuki Kingquads, and had no trouble at all. Here's my worries, and thoughts. When I bought my Polaris the dealer was kinda pushing a Kawasaki 750 Brute Force, saying how durable it was, so I test drove one, that thing was amazingly fast, so I test drove a Polaris 850 and liked the ride, and power. I came home that night and researched both machines, and was blown away by the negative attitude, the numerous problems with Polaris. I did continue reading things, made a list of problems people were reporting, so I could ask service manager about. Of course he said they have had only a few problems with Polaris ATV'S, so I stood there staring at both machines. Polaris looked better, I liked the power, and it was just me (I was told). Now is my problem, I'M SCARED TO RIDE IT WAITING FOR IT TO BREAK! I rode it today I'm still breaking it in, but when I push the throttle I hear a clunk sound, left off throttle, press it again CLUNK! I called dealer, and he said it's normal, he said they tore apart a quad 2 years ago for inspection, after they heard of this clunk problem, and found nothing wrong. After I heard the clunking I was asking myself, did I buy the right machine. Anyway I just thought I would share my story, and say HELLO! Hope I get some feedback on my decision on buying a Polaris.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sell it, at this point you've talked yourself into thinking there is going to be a problem, so everything that happens your gonna blame Polaris for a crappy product. Even though every machine has issues of some sort.

·
Registered
434 Posts
honestly not to bash polaris, im very hard on equipment but in my experience my sportsman has been the least reliable quad ive owned and there sp500 is the most reliable quad they make. some of my problems people would say are just normal wear and tear or operator abuse but i never had any major issues with my yamahas suzuki or kawisaki. i guess it depends on how you ride your machine

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand that anything mechanical can and will break. Is what's weird, Polaris owners don't talk well about their quads. I am a product loyal person, and I want to be a Polaris person.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was/am in the same boat as you, always owned Honda quads, dirt bikes, motorcycles, and some Yamaha stuff. If you read the forums your gonna mostly find people looking for help with a problem on their quad. I bought a new 850xp and rode it and it makes some noises and has the wa wa wa sound while riding, every time I ride it I like it more and more, the power the handling, looks. So I say ride it and enjoy, you have a great riding, powerful machine.

On a side note I am on the 2011 F350 forum, and I like how they have it setup, they have a mods section, an exterior section, a suspension section, an engine and tranny problem section, they have different sections from the problems, and I wouldn't go to those sections unless something came up, seem like if I read something I was constantly on the look out for it, almost uneasy driving it, I would like to see this forum follow suit and have a problem section separate from the just the regular sections.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My 13 has done that since new. Don't worry just ride it!! But I worried about polaris too but wanted the power and smooth ride!! I bought a aftermarket 5 yr warranty with mine just to have piece of mind lol

S3

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, I think you guy's are right, ride it, enjoy it! If something breaks, that's what the extended warranty is for. Infernored.. your also correct, the more you read, the more you listen for odd sounds. They need a positive thread, where people can share positive things about their ride.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
my 2009 makes the same sound and I mud ride with mud tires and I am not afraid to ride every where ride it and have fun if it brakes fix it and ride more

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
There's not another machine I would rather own. I would have to say ride it and enjoy it, or sell it now before you put more hours and miles on it. Don't worry, be happy. :)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
My first quad was a Polaris Trail Boss 250 4x4. Had it for 12 years. The only things that broke were from me using it hard plowing snow. (motor mount,shift linkage) My present 2002 Sportsman 500 HO has been trouble free other than usual wear (tires) and the occasional battery. Unless you get a lemon.....if you take care of them and do the maintenance, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for making me feel better about Polaris atv's. I hope I have this 850 xp for years to come. I am a firm believer in good maintenance.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I beat the crap out of my 550. I keep it lubed but never wash it, it's just a tool. It has never let me down. My Honda buddies are always walking around it saying, "man I want one of these".

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was in the same boat as you FistPolaris. I just bought a new 2013 XP 850. This was my first atv purchase. My parents bought me a Yamaha and a Honda when I was younger but I finally bit the bullet and purchased one on my own. I was going back and forth between a Can Am and the Polaris. I found a good deal on a Polaris, so I went with them. I love how the 4x4 works on the Polaris machines. Best in the business in my oppinion.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
go to any forum, atv, truck, camera, snowmobile, etc, you always have the trolls saying everything broke on there toy, do not go to a forum for reading if you want to buy one
I ask the dealer and the mechanics or people I know that have one
go over to the can am site oh my Gosh I would never buy one reading what people say is wrong or broke, but my buddys ride them and they are a great wheeler, all depends on what you want, I for one love the Polaris wheelers I have quite a few of them going way back, and now have the 850 xp and love it, will it break down at some point yes probably, but I am gonna let it sit in the garage no way I love riding it, my last new truck was 50,000 and yep it broke a few times but I still drive it, so do your homework but don't make your decision from what you read on here

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

Our group has one of everything and THEY ALL BREAK! I can tell you a story about every one of these machines breaking, breaking down or plain out failing at some time. Same thing goes for tires, some folks have a great experience with a type while another flattens them on the first ride.

Are Polaris machines more "needy" than single cylinder low HP Japanese quads, yes. Are they also more fun, yes! My 500 HO is as fast as my buddy's Rincon (he has since upgraded to an outty 1000 BTW). Guess what, that Rincon had tranny issues at 2800 miles and battery issues from day 1! That's correct, the infallible Honda has failures too.

These forums fill with people complaining about issues or looking for solutions to their problems. It's like yelp, if I listened to every bad review on there, I'd never go out to eat :D

Ride, smile, maintain, repeat!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I had a polaris, now have 2012 EPS Brute, and am likely going to get a scrambler 1000 or sportsman 1000xp (whenever it comes out). All these machines make noises...what you are hearing is driveline lash and the clutch...they all make these noises. The brute is a lot more mechanical sounding than any xp850...the Brute has conical gears that make a distinct sound when riding it..the xp850 is a much more refined ride than the Brute. The Xp rides better (stock), and actually has a lot more power than the Brute (mid range and up...although the Brute hits like a sledgehammer off the line..something no xp850 I have seen does). There will be issues with both quads...just enjoy your new XP as it is one of the best all around quads out right now

·
Registered
56 Posts
my 2009 makes the same sound and I mud ride with mud tires and I am not afraid to ride every where ride it and have fun if it brakes fix it and ride more
i agree i ride mine harder then most will ever try,and it has held up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It sounds like you may be having a little of that buyers remorse, made a big ticket purchase and hope you did the right thing. I felt the same way when I bought my first Polaris because I had bullet proof honda's and a few kawi's before "taking the plunge" as it felt. I got my Sportsman home at night and since it was new I had to take it out in the field for a go around.......my temp alarm came in right away and I right away thought." I knew I should have bought the Honda" I took it back the next day and found there was a TIL on the switch and it had to be replaced. After that it has been smooth sailing, bought another one just like it a few years later...used and at a price I could not refuse.....and will buy another when needed or opportunity knocks. You do tend to hear some Polaris knocking every now and then but in my opinion it's kind of like the Ford, Chevy Dodge thing.....many tend to tout their brand over the other when any of the big boys make a good product. I also still own a honda and a kawasaki and think any of the name brands make good products and at the same time can occasionally make a bad one or even a not so great model.
I would ride the one you already spent the money on. Keep up the maintenance and hopefully you will slowly or fastly build up your confidence in the machine and do lots of trouble free, safe and responsible riding/exploring.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Take it easy on it. put some miles on it and you will gain your trust. I went looking through the forums after buying mine and I thought I made a huge mistake. Guys I ride with all have different types of machines from Honda Yamaha can am cats and brute forces. they all have broken down at some point. my buddys renegade has a huge crack in his rear diff and it has less miles than mine. my buddys brute is sitting in the shop due to crank failure. both them machines have less than 1000 miles.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
When I bought my first quad (1990 TB 250 4x4) the dealer was a Cenex station way out in the country. The farmers and ranchers from all around had Polaris 4x4 ATVs. You would drive past the local Bar/Grill at noon and there would be a half dozen PoPos lined up with various attachments. That was good enough for me.
I grew up on a farm and you don't keep equipment that breaks down all the time. nuff said.....

1 - 20 of 67 Posts