Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a blast riding today but broke my 4WD. My front passenger side tire does not have power (when in 4WD) , BUT the axel spins when gas is applied. Any ideas? Broken hub?
I was able to drive home off the trail with no issues after I winched out.
Got it all washed off tonight and ready to see what's broken tomorrow.

·
Registered
222 Posts
when I broke my front axle it broke inside the outer cv joint, the axle did not get loose or anything and the boot was still fine, was able to finish the ride, so check if the outer cv joint turns

·
Premium Member
11,445 Posts
yasam is on to something. i have cracked the front hub and not even noticed it until i was doing some repairs. there was one instance when one of my riding buddies had a bad hub on his rzr u could hear the front axel poping in and out of the splines when that front wheel got hung up. give that axel a good look when u break her down.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The fronts break a lot and you still have a complete rolling shaft. Just reach in and grab the axle and pull on it. If broken inside you will know. I noticed you have dhts outlaws. So really the only other thing is to check your hub by jacking the front end up and spinning it

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the axel shaft is rock solid like the other side. if i grab on to it, there is no play.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Aaaaand problem found

·
Registered
72 Posts
Those outlaw dhts have a warranty? Sure hope so. I thought about putting those axles on my scrambler but I think I'm gonna go with the Cobras and try those.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep. warranty claim already in. Highlifter was awesome. Broken one on its way back, replacement on its way!

·
Registered
72 Posts
How long have you been running those axle and how hard do you beat on them? Its between those and cobras for me just tryin to make up my mind.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had them in since July. I haven't held back since they've been in, and I ride hard. I was just getting to that comfy point thinking to myself that they are indestructible. Maybe its a one off, maybe not.
They have a 1 year warranty on them, and Highlifter was extremely easy to deal with.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
aaaaaand got the replacement axel in aaaaaand broke something else!
We were out wheeling on the weekend and hit the deep stuff wide open.
Bang Boom Ow....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Damn,......that will happen though.

Break and axle, get bigger axles.
Break a diff, get a bigger diff.
It just goes on and on and on.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bigger diff? where can i find one of those?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2010 850 xp sportsman and the same thing happened while I was wheeling. Bike came down and snap! I heard that the scrambler diff was stronger because it didn't have the adc unit. guess not. did the gears get damaged or did they damage the housing? The key is to stop the machine before this happens. Something I noticed was the splined shaft to the transmission wasnt greased and was not sliding easily as it should.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But seriously what can I do to help prevent this from happening again?
I'll definitely will keep a better eye on greasing.
What else can be done to prevent this?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I noticed that you have heavy mud tires like I do. Mine are 28" Ol2's. If yours are like mine they don't flex much and weigh a ton. Mine could have 0 psi and not look it. I was in a high wheelie like you in 4 wheel drive coming out of a mud hole. Stay out of 4 wheel drive if your wheeling. when these heavy tires hit the ground spinning in 4 wheel drive they stop the drive line with out flex or give and something will break. On the up side your axels are in good shape.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
But seriously what can I do to help prevent this from happening again?
I'll definitely will keep a better eye on greasing.
What else can be done to prevent this?
Normally a breakage like that is due to extreme shock to the driveline. Simply put, when the tires are airborne, or partially, or spinning in soft mud, then come into contact with hard surface, dirt of rocks, a shock is placed upon the driveline. On a stock machine, many times the tires will just spin.
Install better gripping tires, the sock is transmitted to the axle, breaking it.
Install stronger axles, the differential breaks.

There is not prevention, I have snapped 1 ton axles like toothpicks in a 2k pound Jeep before. The skinny pedal, or thumb paddle, will get you every time!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts