Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1999 scrambler 400 earlier this year. After finding out the transmission was cracked I replaced it and found out the frame was bent and had been welded. The plastics don’t fit right and seat was modified to fit. I bought a 2006 scrambler 500 HO off a friend for dirt cheap and was wondering if I can just swap the 400 engine into the 500?

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
Anything is possible with enough time and money. I don't think the swap will be an easy one though. The 400 is a liquid cooled 2 stroke while the 500 is a liquid cooled 4 stroke. The engines and electronics aren't close to being the same and the crankcases will be completely different. Maybe farther ahead to fix the 500 and make it go then part out the 400 to help pay for it.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I put a 72 351 Windsor and automatic transmission in place of a flat head V8 and manual transmission in a 52 Ford F1 pickup. Wasn't quick or cheap, but it was what I wanted to do at the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe the frames are different. Look it up for part numbers. I believe one difference is on the bottom side of the frame the 400 has bigger holes in order to remove the starter from below. I could be wrong though. What is wrong with the 500? Get that running instead? These things are getting parted out quite a bit lately so maybe hold out for a 400 frame?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts