Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum. Just joined after I purchased a '96 Scrambler 400 2-stroke. I runs fine part of the time but will suddenly backfire and stall. At this point I have trouble starting it. It catches and then stalls or it backfires. If I continue trying, I can usually get it started eventually. Other times it starts and runs fine.

Some things I noticed. One was that the fan wasn't working. Turns out that it must have had water in the motor as it was rusted on the inside and didn't turn well. I am looking for a replacement.

Another thing I noticed was the the air box had a tear and a slight hole right where it connected to the carb. It was also loose.

Could either of these be the cause of my backfire and stalls? Or where should I start looking.

Also, I notice that when I pull the dipstick on the right side at the back (transmission?) that it comes out milky. How much of an issue is this?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Welcome aboard!! Sounds like you need to start by changing all your fluids. Milky usually means oil mixed with water. You need to do that first then work on the running problems.

·
Registered
211 Posts
this sounds like it overheated and the piston rings are sticking,do a compresssion check to confirm this.and do like hawkeye says and change the fluids,you might have a seal going out letting water in contaminating the oil.fix the cooling fan and check the fan thermo switch also change the thermostat.

·
Registered
1995 Polaris Xplorer 400
130 Posts
I believe the oil your changing is the counterbalance oil which is not very much. Anyone think this would be a good idea to use a little seafoam to help remove the water.

I run my 95 400L all the time and I never have the fan run. I can't recall even when it was new that I really heard it run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts