Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hmmm:hey guys looking to finaly start modding my 01 rambler 400, what was the best power adders? reeds? clutch kit? shaved head? carb work? looking to get the best bang for the buck any suggestions guys? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
665 Posts
If it is 2wd go for 11/42 sprocket kit and new chain. Rk chains have worked good for me.

Next, a clutch kit. Can do a spring only for 25. Or a whole kit gour about 200.

Next would be exhaust. Aaen and hpd are good resources for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
20 Posts
The best mods for the money I found back when I was a dealer, was to change the reeds to vforce, add a reed spacer from a 750 polaris watercraft, K+N airfilter, bore the stock carb (richen the needle with a thunder products 5/20 shim kit 1/2 a clip) and remove the throttle stop plate to let it reach proper full throttle. For the clutching, add a .090" shim under the primary spring to up the engagement slightly, adjust the shims between the secondary sheaves so you have 1 1/8" deflection with a new belt, and lastly have the primary clutch spider shims adjusted so you have .010" to .020" belt to sheave clearance with a new belt.

I did a scrambler 4x4 with the complete hot seat set-up, pipe, porting, head, wiseco piston bored out, bigger TM38 carb, hot seat clutching. It ripped for trails, but was not good in slow going, deep mud. It was too easy to smoke the belt. The changes I gavce above increased overall performance. The pipe and clutch kit by itself with the above mods worked great also. I say to richen the needle slightly with the bored carb, because I found a lean spot at 3/4 throttle, piston detonated on me once.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts